1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bullies and feather picking need help very soon, hens going down hill

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rhodered10, May 10, 2011.

1. rhodered10

rhodered10 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    I have 10 chickens that all live together under pretty good conditions but over this hard winter they have picked up the habbit of picking on each other and it is really going too far. one of the hens is looking pretty bad with bare patches on her back, chest, butt and neck and now that the weather is nice and sunny she is starting to get sun burned and i have also noticed that the bigger girls are starting to do what roosters do with hens except it is with just girls, we do not have a roo but we are thinking about getting one to solve the girls male behavior towards other chickens but we are concerned that a roo will just put the damaged hens into even worse shape. the problem is not solving itself and i have no idea what to do next other than clip the hens beaks but i dont want to have to resort to that and i would hate to have to have my chickens destroyed. i am getting pretty desperate and my hens are only getting into worse shape so please please if any of you have anything that could help it would be appreciated.

2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    You may not can do anything about it but try putting higher protein in their diet in case thats the issue. Oyster shell also. If it is a bullying issue the only way I know to fix it is seperate them.

3. rhodered10

Aug 12, 2010
    thanks i should also mention that i have treid blu kote but that doesnt seem to help at all i need something to stop the picking, we have also treid seperation with a door in the coop but they found a way to fly over altho seperation is still an option i would like to consider an easier solution first i just hope that i wont have to resort to seperation but i will if i need too thanks again [​IMG]

4. La Mike

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Hope it works out for you.
    You can clip their wings and keep them from flying over. They should molt before long and get them back but may be enough time to end some of it.

5. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    I had a really bad issue until I switched to a 22% layer feed...

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Some people have luck with pinless peepers

7. La Mike

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    As a last resort you could always put blinders on them like I do with pheasants [​IMG]

8. rhodered10

Aug 12, 2010
    thanks for all of your help i have decided to give pin less peepers a try it seems like it should work but i will also try giving them more protein in their diet and keeping them entertained, thanks again [​IMG]

9. rolffamily

rolffamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I have some new hens that are stressed with the new home and one was pecking the feathers off another. I put a Flock Block in the coop to give them a diversion and it absolutely worked. I also toss in a handful of BOSS for extra protein.

10. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Quote:what feed is that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by