Bullies In Roost

tomumberger

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 8, 2017
I have a Polish that has been bullied regularly, especially after being out of the coop a few times recovering from ailments. In the spring and summer, she would sleep in the nest box at night, because she would frequently get kicked out of the roost. Now that we are having some nights in the low 30s, I want to make sure she is warm enough. I moved her to the roost 4 times tonight, and so far she has been kicked out 4 times.

Please tell me your thoughts! Should I keep putting her up there until they accept her? Or consider finding a way to ensure that the nest box is warm enough for her to stay there at night?

Thanks!

I just moved her to the other roost bar in coop. Even though it was crowded, the hens on that roost let her stay. We used to have another Polish that was her companion, but that one died last year.

I just moved her to the other roost bar in coop. Even though it was crowded, the hens on that roost let her stay. We used to have another Polish that was her companion, but that one died last year.
What variety is she? White crested or laced? Do you trim her crest? It can help them see the pecking coming.

No, haven't trimmed her crest, but could be a good idea. The roost bullying is happening after dark, so it's not an issue of not being able to see.

Back
Top Bottom