Bullies - Won't let the smaller (new) hens eat!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CarolinaBlue, Feb 28, 2013.

1. CarolinaBlue

CarolinaBlue New Egg

Feb 21, 2013
    Shingle Springs, Ca
    Need some advice.. I have have had 5 RIR's for about 9 months, since hatching and I recently added some new members to the flock. Of the new members the two smallest are being bullied. At feeding time one of the others will chase them away when they come near the food and they aren't going in the hen house at night and have chosen a high perch in the barn. The others have gradually joined inside the coop at night.

What steps should I take? Right now I am feeding them separately after feeding time. I have tried to intervene in the chasing away but another one continues it. My 5 RIRs are extremely friendly, can hold easily and I haven't had any issues with behavior until now.

Thanks!

2. rufflemyfeather

rufflemyfeather Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2012
    Lewisberry, PA
    unless things get violent I would just let them work it out! Its flock hierarchy at its finest. if its violent and you see blood then I would separate them but keep the new ones close until they get used to each other. then give it another shot[​IMG]

3. CarolinaBlue

CarolinaBlue New Egg

Feb 21, 2013
    Shingle Springs, Ca
    Thanks so much for the advice! I will keep watch to see if seems to become more violent. Right now the behavior seems more feeding and territorial with the coop. They all free range together during the day without issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by