1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bulling hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by toripeeps, Jul 18, 2011.

1. toripeeps

toripeeps Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    I am trying to get my 6 leghorn hens to get along with the 6 bantams that I have but they won't let them out in the run when they are out and keep them from the food and water inside the coop. I can't let them free range during the day because they started going over to the neighbors and digging in their mulch etc. I have a good size run that we just finished over the week end and didn't let them out of the run today. But when I went out to check on them they had two of my bantams pinned in the corners. Will they really hurt them or are they just being bullies? Any ideas on how to stop the bulling or is it just natural? Help!

2. blueheeler1998

blueheeler1998 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    Hello. I don't have any advice, just having the same sort of problem. I have two RIR hens that are great with people, but since our rooster died, they have taken over. I have another RIR hen that is brooding right now that they are fine to, but the pullets and the bantams are taking it tough in the coop at night. We free range them during the day, but with the coon and other critters around here, we have to keep them locked up at night. I am trying to find another rooster, I don't know if having a dominant male around will fix this or not. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have two coops, but moved my broody hen and her eggs in the one with an enclosed run. I was afraid the mean hens would hurt her babies. Like I said, I can't wait to hear some suggestions.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Big chickens pick on smaller chickens. It's just the way that it is. Have you recently introduced the bantams to the leghorns? If so they may eventually establish the pecking order and back off on their abuse. Sadly enough they can cause serious damage if not death during this process. Monitor them closely. Good luck.

4. tball

tball Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    hemphill,tx
    I also have 10 leghorn roos (packing Peanuts) got them with my mail order, figure i would get what meat i can, leghorns are not good meat birds, but darn they are food bulley!!!! my big girls are gettin ticked-off [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  5. CherryChick

CherryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Indiana
    I know how you feel. I just introduced my chickens to smaller/younger ones and they bullied them for about 3weeks and they have finally stopped. They just have to establish their pecking order then they will be just fine [​IMG]

6. toripeeps

toripeeps Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    No they have been together for several months, but we have just started confining them to the pen. So I guess they are just restating the order as it should be but the little ones don't know what to do. the leghorns just started laying they are only 4 months and the bantams are only a week younger and we have had them since they were peeps but kept them separated until they were 6-7 weeks. I think it may be just be confined that they don't like.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Boredom and close confines can cause aggressiveness and pecking to escalate. If they draw blood, remove the injure bird. The sight/taste of blood can escalate to cannibalistic behavior.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by