Bully Banty?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Trina Bambina, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Trina Bambina

Trina Bambina Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2012
    North Georgia
    I have six banty BO youngsters that are ten weeks old. Two have pretty developed combs/wattles, the other four do not have much of anything...would I be right in guessing that the two are roos?

Also, one of the roos is very aggressive with the other five and with the four std size Ameracauna girls that they room with who are seven weeks old (and the same size or larger than the BO). Several of the BO are looking a bit ragged in the feather department, and I suspect that the bully is 'roughing them all up when we are not around. My 8yo ds said that this is the case...and since he is our resident "Chicken Wrangler" I am going to go with what he has seen.

I was thinking I need to rehome the bully, but wanted to get the opinions of some experienced chicken folk.

Thanks for your help!
    [​IMG]
    One of the 7 week Ameracauna

[​IMG]
    Tony "Bent Toe" the most aggressive one...he's a roo, right?

[​IMG]
    Guido - also a roo, right?

[​IMG]
    Victoria - the largest of the BO, no comb or wattle and the nicest feathering of the six.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Ya, I'd vote the two are definitely boys. Ten weeks is a little early for the hormones to really kick in, but adolescent roosters can really be a pita. Roosters that are that aggressive that young I'd rehome asap. Do you have other older roosters in with them? That EE/ameraucana behind the girl in the first picture looks like a roo?
    I would also double check them for mites etc, in case the rooster is getting blamed unfairly, mites or lice can make them look pretty ratty pretty fast.

3. Trina Bambina

Trina Bambina Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2012
    North Georgia
    I would swear that that chick came of of the shell spoiling for a fight! I know everyone said it doesn't happen...but in this case it has. I will check them for mites...I am also wondering if they are molting (the "jr. mini moult that I was reading about that happens about now)...

I have got basically two flocks that share space. A group that is 10-12 weeks old, 4 pullets and 11 BR cockerels, and the flock the banties are in, 4 std size Ameracauna (7 weeks old) and 6 BO 10 weeks old). They all sleep in the coop together at night, the older birds on the roosts and the younger on the floor. During the day, the older birds free range and the youngsters use the run, and when I bring the big kids in, the little guys get the coop, with the door closed, b/c the roos like to pester them. Maybe I should leave them all mixed during the day? It just seems unfair, for the little guys to get picked on by so many bigger birds.

Most of the older BR roos will go to Freezer Camp when they get big enough...I am thinking of keeping two. Will also keep the nicer of the two banty roos.

And please say it isn't so...that Ameracauna is a roo?!?!? [​IMG] I am drowning in roosters! I had noticed the curly tail, but there are no comb or wattle development, so I was just hoping it was a curly tail! Here is a pic of that bird...rooster?!?!? Please tell me it is a hen! They are 7 weeks old. Oddly enough, I named "her" Jasper today, because she is the color of Ocean Jasper...wouldn't that be funny, if she is really a he!

[​IMG]

Thanks for your input! I appreciate it very much!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Better pictures would help, but with that much comb development and that much pink at 7 weeks in those two pictures, I would bet that Jasper is a boy, sorry.

I know what you mean about Tony the roo, some chicks just seem to hatch out complete with the whole attitude. It does seem like when you have an early aggressive bantam roo, they are worse than your usual heavy breeds for some reason.

You could have a mini molt going on, some do that around two months, with feather loss I always figure it is better to check for mites than to miss them and have a harder time treating them later on.

With mixing them during that day, I'd probably keep them separate as you are doing until they are closer in size. They would probably be OK free ranging during the day, but I always worry when they are in an enclosed area and somebody decides to pick on somebody else. Once the BR boys go to camp, things will really calm down around there, just wait until you have 11 cockerels all hitting puberty at the same time, you won't get them to camp fast enough :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by