Bully barred rock

Hennyfromdblock

Songster
Sep 15, 2021
Is there such thing as a bully chicken? I feel this goes beyond the pecking order but correct me if I’m wrong. I have two 1yo chickens, one being a Barred Rock, she and another “Cecilia” (not barred rock) are the oldest in the flock currently. But Cecilia doesn’t have a mean feather on her. The rest are 6mo old Silkie, and Belgium, One cochin and one EE that are very attached to each other but seem to be picking up the same behavior as they started to tag team the Belgium. (Not sure if it helps but they are the only ones that have not been mounted not laid their fist egg). Barred rock is top of the pecking order. But she was never mean to any of them, she would just shoo them away from the feeder/waterer. But about 2 weeks ago I’ve noticed that she’s being aggressive towards a couple gals in the flock. She even tries to fight the roo when he mounts her but he doesn’t follow through. She’ll submit to him, but when he mounts and about to the do she jumps up and pecks at him (he’s mated with her many times before).

Food and water: I have 3 feeders and water stations for them, one by the coop, one in the run and one being out in the yard since they do free range. She can’t see another chicken getting close to eat or drink cause she’ll run and peck at them and start to eat/drink. She can be in the run and sees the other one in the yard being used and she doesn’t hesitate to run all the way back out to that one, all while having a full crop, It’s like she’s hoarding/hogging all the food and water.

Space: I don’t think space is an issue since I live on an acre and they free range , most choose to be in the run but some do prefer to be out and about. Night time there’s no issues, everyone has their favored spot.

Behavior: She’ll chase and when she grabs a hold of them she’ll pull their neck and try stomping them on jumps to kick them when they fight back. Like a rooster basically. If someone crosses her path she’ll chase and peck, something the cochin and EE have started doing. She’s laying daily, eating and drinking just fine obviously.

What have I Done to help: I’ve put her in chicken jail, twice, that didn’t work. Right when she attacks I’ve scolded her and tried the holding them feet up and placing them under your arm for a bit. Not sure that helped at all since she’s always shown submission to me way before she started being mean. I tried feeding them separately either I feed her away from the rest or them from her where she can’t see them, but she’s like a nosy neighbor looking for trouble. I’ve tried putting her in a large crate for her to eat on her own but she gets so upset and just clucks , doesn’t even eat.

I’m starting to think that I’ll have to get rid of her to have peace in the flock. Also in hopes that the Cochin and EE will stop. But if I have to they’ll go to. She’s very sweet and docile with us but I’m not sure what’s happened. I’m just trying to prevent any casualties and stress as I’ve heard chickens can kill others, and Her being bigger than the ones she’s attacking I wouldn’t doubt that she will if I don’t take action. I feel guilty wanting to get rid of her since she’s one of the first we started with. Can’t wait to hear y’all’s feedback, thank you!

Wow. And you already tried chicken jail?! Its not healthy for the rest of the flock... Have she ever been in with the ducks? She could just live with them and then you don't have to get rid of her and she will be with other birds.

Wow. And you already tried chicken jail?! Its not healthy for the rest of the flock... Have she ever been in with the ducks? She could just live with them and then you don't have to get rid of her and she will be with other birds.
Hangon I'm sorry. I think I just got two threads confused xD Do you even have ducks?

And my Barred Rock girls do the SAME thing with the roo. They are still getting used to them and if he as much danced for them they will try to kill him LOL She will get used to it :)

No ducks😂 I did think to myself though “alright, yeah let’s go buy some ducks, problem solved” 🤣
HAHA Ducks often are bossy towards chickens so it would probably do her some good! ;) If I had a bully hen that bad, I would probably do what you're doing. You may just have to give her away or sell her. :( I'm trying to think of other thing that could help...

HAHA Ducks often are bossy towards chickens so it would probably do her some good! ;) If I had a bully hen that bad, I would probably do what you're doing. You may just have to give her away or sell her. :( I'm trying to think of other thing that could help...
trust me, I’ve been wanting some ducks for the longest at least one. But they’re just a bit too messy for me. We had 2 ducklings before and once they started getting a bit bigger I just couldn’t handle it. Hopefully I can figure something out quickly, wouldn’t want to wait to long. Thank you for your help!

So sad to hear that. I had a barrred rock years ago and she was a sweetheart - super nice personality, but then I suppose you can always get a bad chicken in any breed. I had sexlinks that were grouchy - never would let me get too near them. But then my one Rhode Island Red was a sweetheart - she'd always come and sit on my shoulder when I fed them. I love my Buff Orpingtons that I have right now. I inherited them from someone else after they were fully grown, but they have realy adapted well to me and are not at all skitish. I can't hold them but they'll eat out of my hand and will let me pet them when they are sitting on the roost (although that's probably because they aren't completely alert when they've been roosting).

Back
Top Bottom