Bully Brahma

Auntiejessi3

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Oct 20, 2020
Central Texas
My Coop
My Coop
My almost 1 yr old light brahma has turned into a bully. It has been a slow progression for the past 2 weeks. She is chasing the new additions more and more, almost seeking them out. Then yesterday she attacked my WTB(who she is closest with) while she was by one of the feeders then she turned on my BO who is the matriarch. Idk what is going on, she has always been so sweet. Need some suggestions, because I'm not going to have her disrupting the peace.
Thx y'all

Try giving more entertaining things to do in the chickens run

More perches, a few treat hangers, try new treats (especially meal worms), and possibly enlarging their run.

sometimes chickens become bullies when they are bored, or feel overcrowded in a small area

if nothing suggested works, you might have to segregate her in her own pen, inside the run, to teach her to not be a bully.

My almost 1 yr old light brahma has turned into a bully. It has been a slow progression for the past 2 weeks. She is chasing the new additions more and more, almost seeking them out. Then yesterday she attacked my WTB(who she is closest with) while she was by one of the feeders then she turned on my BO who is the matriarch. Idk what is going on, she has always been so sweet. Need some suggestions, because I'm not going to have her disrupting the peace.
Thx y'all
For now you might think about isolating her in a crate for most the day to give the newbies a break.

When, and how, did you add the new birds?
How old are the newbies?
How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help immensely here.

Try giving more entertaining things to do in the chickens run

More perches, a few treat hangers, try new treats (especially meal worms), and possibly enlarging their run.

sometimes chickens become bullies when they are bored, or feel overcrowded in a small area

if nothing suggested works, you might have to segregate her in her own pen, inside the run, to teach her to not be a bully.
They have over 24sqft each of run space, multiple perches, logs, platforms, feeders, and waterers. I'm not a big treat giver, but they do have their own little garden to pick at through chicken wire(so they don't demolish it all at once, lol) she may just need to be segregated

For now you might think about isolating her in a crate for most the day to give the newbies a break.

When, and how, did you add the new birds?
How old are the newbies?
How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help immensely here.
You helped with and followed my integration 😉
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/change-of-plans.1454019/
Coop 7x8(a little over 9sqft per bird)
Run 146sqft(a little over 24sqft per bird), plus a few hrs a day on our acre
Littles turned 16 weeks yesterday

Last edited:
I was just spit-balling, based on ages and comb reddening as the notable change in conditions which accompanied the change in behavior. PLEASE don't give my opinion any extra weight here, just because I post a lot - I've only been at this 14 months, and follow a pretty "hands off" management style for my flock - meaning I'm likely less aware of chicken behaviors than even my limited experience might suggest.

PLEASE weigh in with opinions. I really want to see what @aart , @3KillerBs and @cmom might offer here, among others.

I was just spit-balling, based on ages and comb reddening as the notable change in conditions which accompanied the change in behavior. PLEASE don't give my opinion any extra weight here, just because I post a lot - I've only been at this 14 months, and follow a pretty "hands off" management style for my flock - meaning I'm likely less aware of chicken behaviors than even my limited experience might suggest.

PLEASE weigh in with opinions. I really want to see what @aart , @3KillerBs and @cmom might offer here, among others.

I haven't had to deal with a bully hen and thus am following with interest to accumulate information for the time when I have to. :)

I enjoy reading your posts and find them interesting and informative 😁

Back
Top Bottom