BULLY BROTHERS

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by roosmom, Sep 3, 2008.

1. roosmom

roosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    upper peninsula
    We have a very docile hen. She is always up for holding, petting and carrying around. Our granddaughter adopted her as her own. Today, I was petting her and when I was done I stood up. A rooster came over and grabbed hold of her neck and wouldnt let go. She screamed and screamed. I watched this rooster for the rest of the day. I noticed that he and another rooster were displaying behavior like that all day. I have decided to call them the bully brothers. Is this normal? Do roosters hang out together? The other ones dont do this. We have around 14 or 15 roosters. Do they single out hens to pick on? there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to the attacks. They are all 3 1/2 months old. All chickens are Buff Orpingtons.

2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    I have a Golden Sebright roo, and a Lemon-Blue Old English roo that we're raised together and they hang out alot, and they both pick on my hen.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    roosmom, what you described sounds to me like practicing to mate, not bullying. The hen will carry on like that because she's not ready to be mated. Once she is, she'll be more accepting.

4. roosmom

Jun 3, 2008
    upper peninsula
    Okay Gritsar, you're kind words have granted them a reprieve.......for now. I was ready for chicken noodle soup. Thank-you

5. henmommy

henmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Upstate NY
    My 2 roos were doing the same thing! I felt so sorry for my girls. [​IMG] Those darn boys just wouldn't leave them alone. So, 2 roos are now 1 roo. The girls are getting a break 1:14 instead of 2:14. and I'm having chicken soup [​IMG]

6. roosmom

Jun 3, 2008
    upper peninsula
    [​IMG] There has to be a funny one in every bunch. Have a good dinner. LOL

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Seriously roosmom. I don't know about all chickens, but I do know MY chickens. At first it was like being around a bunch of pre-teen boys. They knew they wanted to do something, weren't quite sure what, but they were willing to try something with just about anything that moved. Now that they've found willing (or at least cooperating) partners, they're actually leaving the girls that aren't ready alone. They husseys, I mean girls that are ready, even hold their wings out for the boys to stand on! It's over in five seconds and without alot of fuss.
    Sometimes it's really hard to try to find the right words to describe things on a family forum. Mods, was hussey okay? [​IMG]

8. roosmom

Jun 3, 2008
    upper peninsula
    [​IMG]
    Oh, that is priceless. I was comparing them to my boy, ROO. HE is of course perfect in everyway, lol. They must have been having a bad day cuz things have gotten better. thanks.

9. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:How many hens do you have for the 14 or 15 roosters to share amongst them?

You need at least 10 hens per rooster, or they will constantly mount the hens just to show their dominance over one another.

10. roosmom

Jun 3, 2008
    upper peninsula
    We have around 37 hens. We will be paring it down to 29 total. 3 roosters and the rest hens. I do not think they are real serious right now. They are all only three and a half months old. We will be culling in the end of sept, beginning of oct.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by