Bully Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Keet, May 16, 2010.

1. Keet

Keet Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2009
    I have 4 four day old Ameracauna chicks I got from the feed store. Two days ago, I noticed they were picking on each others eye lids, so I did some quick separation to try to stem it. The injured chicks are all doing very well.

I've singled out the culprit. I put everyone together and within 1 minute, Bully had already attacked 2 chicks and was zeroing in on the 3rd.

Bully is now living by herself indefinitely, unless I can figured out how to solve this.

I have tried:

Putting them outside in a huge 8x16 ft pen with lots of distractions, no luck.
    Bringing them inside and put them under a red light as suggested in my previous post here. Didn't deter Bully at all.

So, have any of you ever had this issue, and how did you solve it?

2. sune42

sune42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    If the red light didn't work, I have no idea. Hopefully someone else will. Good luck.

3. Backyard_Chicken_rancher

Backyard_Chicken_rancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Sometimes you just got to allow the bully to be the bully cause it sounds to me liek she is taking charge she is the Dom hen so she is doing the pecking order but that is just IMHO.....maybe someone will have a better answer for you.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Is the bully drawing blood?

5. Keet

Keet Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2009
    NO blood yet, but only because I have stepped in and removed the bully within minutes each time. The other chicks eye lids were already red and swolen, and would have been bleeding very soon.

6. Keet

Keet Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2009
    Anything guys?

7. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    I've only had this happen once and I completely separated the bully to it's own brooder box. Yeah, it peeped and cried, but oh well! I left it separated for about 2.5 days and when I put him (yep, little boog turned out to be a nasty little roo that I've since named Beelzebubba) back with the rest of the chicks, he was no longer a bully chick. Now he's a big bully cockeral that I'm about to invite to dinner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by