Bully Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chick15, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    I just recieved my 16 mail order chickens in the mail yesterday and I love them all to bits. One of my chicks seems to be a bullying chick, but it is not only bullying one, it is running around pecking all of them. I have 5 silver laced wyandottes, 5 speckled sussex and 6 rhode island reds, the bully is a speckled sussex. I have no clue what to do. I first separated it out and put it in a separate box from the others, after a few minutes I returned it back to the brooder with the other chicks. The chick immediatley ran over and resumed pecking the others, in the eyes and around the head. This really bothers me, I am scared for the other chicks. I scoured the internet and I have nowhere to go. I tried putting apple slices in the coop but my little chicks do not seem interested. PLEASE HELP!!!!

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I hate say it you might have to cull it unless you want to put in a seperate brooder. Good luck!!

3. Snegurochka

Snegurochka Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Don't cull yet! You need to make a little chicken jail at one end of the box (no, not a joke). Use a cardboard divider and put a little window in it, covered with hardware cloth. You can use a milk cap for food and a tuna can for water if you're short on room. On my last batch of chickens it took her a week to stop pecking; on the current batch my little roo was over his bullying after one night. Just be forewarned that one of your other chicks might jump the barrier to make a prison visit--my Speckled Sussex was really bad about this, so you'll have to make the barrier pretty tall, like 8-10 inches at least. Also watch out to make sure there's not a slit between the barrier and the side of the box (seal it up with tape). Once on my last batch I walked into the room and my Hamburg was hanging there with her head on one side and her body on the other. She wasn't tall enough to make the full jump out of her cell! Good luck!

4. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Thanks for your help. I decided to put some logs in and sprinkle the logs with food as I figured that the chicks may be hungry. It is working like a charm! I would post pictures if I knew how...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by