Bully chick!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Artemis1, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Artemis1

Artemis1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2014
    Northwest Montana
    Hi all, I have three 5 day old polish chicks in a 25 gallon brooder set up. I started with 4 but one died last night. Probably pasty butt even though i took care to check and clean her...the other 3 are fine. I only mention this because one of them has some pretty aggressive behavior and I wasn't sure if maybe illness is making him or her uncomfortable and subsequently ornery.

Here's the behavior : I have 2 white crested black and 1 golden polish. The golden has been ramming and headbutting the other 2 A LOT. I would say "constantly", but he does sleep, haha. He will start at the other 2 and push them either up against the glass or into the water. When the others are sleeping, he plows them and almost looks like he is rolling them. He is literally chasing after them.

Is this normal? Should I separate them? I don't really want to do that because of the socialization and heat factors...but, I am afraid he will hurt them or himself, plus it seems like they hardly get any decent rest unless he is knocked out too.

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I think you will find that they will all settle down after a few days. It may help to use a red light instead of white, especially at night. This should stimulate them leas when they should be sleeping.

3. Artemis1

Artemis1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2014
    Northwest Montana
    Thanks, I accidentally bought white lights and live so far from town that I can't just pop in. I am going this weekend and will pick one up. Sorry for the double post, not sure how that happened.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by