1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bully Chick

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BruffOrphington, Apr 4, 2015.

1. BruffOrphington

BruffOrphington New Egg

Mar 30, 2015
    Goode, VA
    Hello everyone,

My family and are are new to chickens and need some help here.

About a week ago we purchased 3 Rhode Island Reds and 3 Buff Orpjingtons. We wanted 3 Easter Eggers but we were told they would be in about a week later. We questioned weather it would be good to introduce 3 new baby chicks to week old chicks but we were told they would be okay and we're all too young at that point to behave badly.

Well, everything seemed all well but now we have 1 Buff Orphington that is quite a bully. Constantly pecking and harassing the new baby Easter Eggers (she has gotten quite large in a short period of time). She even appears as if she's "blocking" the smaller chickens from the food and water area. She especially picks on the littlest of the three Easter Eggers who appears to be of the runt variety and we've decided to ne "Peanut".

I read an article online that suggested moving the "bully" to a seperate box, cut a window in both boxes and decide with screen. I have done this. It appears that the bully is obviously upset about being in her own box.

Was this the right move to correct the action? And if not, what do you suggest?

Any help is appreciated! =)

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Congrats on your babies! Sorry to hear about the one buff orpington that is being a bully.

Yes the best thing to do is separate her so she can't reach the other chicks but can still see them. Do this for maybe a week or so. Then try having them back together. Of course make sure that her area of the brooder has water, food, bedding and warmth.

Good luck!

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

4. BruffOrphington

BruffOrphington New Egg

Mar 30, 2015
    Goode, VA
    Thank you for the welcome, folks! =)

I have put the bully in a separate box with her own heat lamp, water, food, and pecking stick. And of course the window is cut so they can all still see each other. Thank you for the advice!

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Sounds great! Hope it fixes her!

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you have joined us.

So sorry about the bully. It is a tough love situation, but sounds like you have it under control. Likely Peanut will get a fairer share of food.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Chicken bullies can be as bad as the human kind. Hope this resolves her problem , or you may want to rehome her in order to safeguard your other chicks.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Hope your bully chick behaves!

9. BruffOrphington

BruffOrphington New Egg

Mar 30, 2015
    Goode, VA
    Thank you everyone for your kind words and advice! And forgive me for all of the typos in my original post. Gotta love cell phones! =)

10. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by