Bully chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickensinCT, May 22, 2019.

1. chickensinCT

chickensinCT In the Brooder

Apr 20, 2017
    I have 7 chickens, all hens, and two of them are picking on a third. I have a small dog crate I was going to place the injured bird in to get better but will the pecking just get worse when I add her back in eventually?
    I have not been able to determine what started the pecking, their food has been the same, they have been housed all together for a little over a year and the aggressive pecking started only recently. Four are two years old (3 buff orps and 1 EE) and three are one year old (1 cuckoo maran, 1 Australorp and 1 silver laced Wyandotte)
    The australorp in the worst one and when she starts one the EE one of the Orpingtons jumps in.
    Their coop is 10x6 with 3 nesting boxes and elevated roosting perch, the attached run is 20x4.
    Any ideas/suggestions to help are appreciated

2. chkva

chkva Songster

Mar 20, 2015
    I had an australorp that did the same thing to mine, I'll never forget that chicken. I separated the bully and reintroduced it, it worked and she wasn't too much of a bully after that. She would peck the others here and there, but not like before. I did free range at the time so it might be a different outcome than someone who has a run. She was separated for two weeks.

Sometimes boredom makes them pick on each other. Hang up cabbage or put a pile of leaves and other distractions to help them from becoming bored.

Hoping you find a solution!

hispoptart likes this.
  3. hispoptart

hispoptart Crowing

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    I agree, Unless the picked on one is bleeding, I would pull the bully from the flock. Isolate her for a few days and put her back. If she starts in again repeat the process until she stops. If needed extend the amount of days in isolation each time.

sourland likes this.
  4. chickensinCT

Apr 20, 2017
    The pecked at chicken has a wound on one of her feet that has started bleeding. I was going to give some meloxicam for pain and separate until it healed but I can just separate the bully first
    Either way she should get some space to heal

Thanks for info !!!

5. hispoptart

hispoptart Crowing

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    depending on how bad the wound is, you might be able to just spray it with blue-kote so the others will leave the wound alone. Pics would be helpful if you can post some.

Criticalicious likes this.
  6. chickensinCT

Apr 20, 2017
    I have used the BluKote on her foot and back but it has not seemed to deter them so far. Will post pics if I can get some when I have a helper in a bit
    :)

hispoptart likes this.
  7. chickensinCT

Apr 20, 2017
    Here are some pics of the chicken who is being bullied... 427381FD-D4BF-4628-91E7-87ADD76778C4.jpeg B0439A8F-AA10-49B4-9C8D-9FE694FDD6D6.jpeg D31F474D-1ED8-4866-821B-321ADC9851D9.jpeg

hispoptart likes this.
  8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Pics Please?

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Do an on site search on Pin Less Peepers. They can help and can frequently be removed once the picked upon birds are refeathered.

hispoptart likes this.
  10. varidgerunner

varidgerunner Songster

Aug 16, 2013
    Remove a bully and you are actually just removing the dominant bird. That will leave a dominant bird, and possibly one with a lot of pent up anger as a result of being number two for so long. Hard for a chicken to walk by another chicken in a four to six foot space. Eight foot space is better. Might work well for a while, but as birds mature, and hormones fully kick in, it can get ugly.

hispoptart and aart like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: