Bully fuzzybutt...Help!

kiplingchick

Chirping
11 Years
Jan 15, 2011
Central NC
Got my order of fuzzybutts from McMurray this morning. Everyone is healthy...eating, drinking, pooping, napping. Just noticed the tiniest of the Dominiques is a bully! She's going around pecking at the eyeballs of the other chicks. I pick her up for a few minutes, hoping to distract her, but as soon as I put her back in the brooder she goes for the eyeball of the nearest chick. Any way to protect the others from her, short of completely and possibly permanently removing this little bully? Thanks!

It's all right... breathe.
hugs.gif

What I would do if I was in that position is take the chick and remove her from the others for a while. Put her into another brooder temporarily. Then, we she seems calmer and more mature put her back int eh brooder with the others. If that doesnt work, remove her for a while longer... eventually she will grow out of it...
HAVE FUN WITH YOUR BABIES!!!!!!!
jumpy.gif

CONGRATS!!!
thumbsup.gif

One certain breed of chicks I have were all bullys too.. And
they still are but now that they are all 3 weeks old the other
chicks can defend themselves

Thanks for the advice!

I used one of those clear plastic clam shell food containers turned on it's side and confined the bully within the brooder. She could see the flock and they could see her, but she couldn't hurt anyone. She pecked at the clear plastic walls, and some would peck back from the other side.

When I took them all out of the brooder this moring to put clean paper towels down, I put the bully back in the brooder first. Then I added back one chick at a time. No more pecking!!! I'll still keep a close watch that the behavior doesn't return, but for now, the little bully is out of solitary confinement.

Back
Top Bottom