Bully girls

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Michelle2639, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Michelle2639

Michelle2639 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2014
    Southern Michigan
    I'm needing some advice. I have six hens that are all close to a year and a half old. I raised three from chicks (RIR) and the other three (BR) I got already grown in late spring. Upon introducing them, it became evident right away that my reds were not going to be at the top of the pecking order. They're all out until dark and it hasn't really been an issue.
    With winter just around the corner, my husband and I expanded the run on the chicken coop so that they'll all have adequate space when they're penned in for the winter. The new run is 16' x 8'.
    I decided to leave them all in a little bit longer this morning and I watched quite a bit of bullying going on from the new girls. I really didn't expect to see that much since they all sleep together every night. There was no blood shed but I let them all out shortly after I saw what was going on. I'm thinking that when they all have to stay in together all winter, I'm going to have some issues. I'm grateful for any advice.
    Thanks!
    Michelle

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    [​IMG]

Given time, they'll work things out. As long as there's no blood or one bird being pinned down or trapped, I wouldn't interfere. You'll probably have two separate flocks and one will be dominant. Chickens are like that. By the end of winter they will likely mingle better, even if they're not as one unit.

3. Michelle2639

Aug 6, 2014
    Southern Michigan
    Thanks

4. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    X 2.

5. Michelle2639

Aug 6, 2014
    Southern Michigan
    I lost one of my girls to a predator so I had no choice but to keep them all locked in their run for a few days. Everyone has learned to get along! I also added a couple new perches to the run and that helped a bit too. I can't help but think that maybe the missing bird was probably the instigator in all the bullying.

6. Ponyfeather

Ponyfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2014
    California
    One hen can turn everyone into crazies, remove the instigator and everything stops. I have seen it before in a flock, I tended to a small flock and mostly Jersey hens that wouldn't even look me in the eye until the bully got taken out. It was really strange because the not jersey hens in he flock where quiet friendly as was the Jersey rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by