Bully Hen! Advice needed ASAP

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MrsPbio, Feb 1, 2016.

1. MrsPbio

MrsPbio Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2014
    Hi everyone:

I've got a chicken psychology issue, rather complex, but it has us all here baffled.

I've had 3 sweet Plymouth Rock hens for almost a year now, since they were chicks. Always got along great- no squabbles whatsoever. I named them Wynken, Blynken, and Nod - or "Noddy". Noddy was the dominant, the leader. Blynken, being a bit gimpy, was very docile, but very clever. Wynken just followed along with everyone else.

Three weeks ago, two things happened simultaneously: #1: my friend gave me one of her Roo's that was being bullied by her Alpha Roo. Blynken was smitten with Seamus immediately, but Noddy was NOT amused. It took her a few days to accept him.

#2: Several days later, Noddy's color was off, and she was droopy. Took her to the vet, and she had sour crop and crop stasis. He told me to put her in isolation, liquid/soft diet for at least 3 days, massaging her crop 3x a day, until the swelling was down and the smell was gone, and it emptied after feeding. (No impaction, no infection... just an "angry crop"... that needed settling down. No meds either! And yes, she recovered beautifully.) She ended up being away from the others for over a week. needless to say, she had lost a lot of weight. (FYI.... I fed her spirulina "smoothies, nice warm cooked old-fashioned oatmeal, and cream of wheat! and pedialyte.)

Once I was assured she was eating OK and her crop was emptying, I tried re-introducing her back with the others. To my surprise, Blynken tore into her, with the Roo right behind her. She fled to the top of the coop, and Blynken wouldn't let her down to eat, and certainly wouldn't let her in to the house to lay her eggs. Apparently Blynken took over the roll of Alpha Hen.

I ended up taking Blynken out, so Wynken and Seamus could get to know her again. After 2 days, those three were best of friends. No squabbles, Wynken would roost snuggled up next to her, and Seamus would cluck and call for her if he found a tidbit for her. What a good Roo! Noddy was confident again, and as happy as before.

So today I tried to put Blynken back in. WIthin 5 minutes, she ripped right into Noddy again - pulled her feathers on her neck right out, and pecked at her face until she bled! Of course Noddy ended up back on the roof. What a bully! At least this time Seamus did not attack.... but he didn't interfere either. So Blynken is back in the isolation cage in my garage. After she was gone, within 10 minutes Noddy, Wynken and Seamus took a good long luxurious dust bath... all was well. But if Noddy even saw Blynken, she'd scramble back to the roof! Poor Noddy!!!

Any ideas of how I can get Blynken calmed down?!? I hate seeing sweet Noddy all beat up and bloodied on her comb! And Blynken can not live in a box in my garage. I really want to keep all three girls!

Please help if you can.

Thanks!

2. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    I would take the rooster out for about a week and reintroduce him and see how it goes

3. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    And if you can't keep him away from the others try and keep the three hens together and let the rooster run free if you can and or keep him in a dog cage or something he can seen them and she can see him so they can get used to each other and not able to hurt each other

4. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    He might be doing that because often times a chicken will attack Ill or injured birds

5. countrygirl345

countrygirl345 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2014
    Michigan
    It sounds as though your birds need to get reacquainted without getting violent. I would recommend keeping Blynken in view of the other chickens when you isolate her instead of keeping her in the garage. That way, they can get used to each other without the pecking. Keeping her in a separate outdoor pen or sectioning off a part of your coop would be good. After a week or two, do a trial run to see if there is any improvement. Remember, this takes time. You may see some improvement, but I doubt your chickens will go back to exactly the way they were before.
    Good luck!

6. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA

Wouldn't u want to keep the rooster separated not the hen since the rooster is showing the aggression

7. countrygirl345

Apr 17, 2014
    Michigan
    No she said that Blynken the hen is the aggressive one and that the rooster is actually pretty sweet with the others.

8. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Oops sorry I thought it said blynken was the rooster

9. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You are essentially mixing up the pecking order, bottom hens will often align themselves with the rooster for protection and top hens get jealous. Once your rooster feels more comfortable he should mediate the hen disputes, until then you might need to keep pulling the bully out, sometimes it helps if you separate them but within sight of each other, they will often work things out through the wire, that would be what I would do, though I'm not sure how big your coop is.

10. countrygirl345

Apr 17, 2014
    Michigan
    Yeah I was a little confused too! I like the names though, very unique.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by