Bully Hen won't except pullet.

Jun 9, 2021
Colorado
Hello everyone.
we have a bully chicken who is super mean to the pullet I have been trying to integrate. I have integrated the chick with 3 of our hens and they are fine but is just my one GC hen. I have decided that I am going to separate her for a little while but I don't know how long. I really don't
want to get rid of her so please help.TIA
PS when should I switch over to layer feed? She is a salmon favorelle and is 6 months. I want to get her moved in as soon as possible cause she is going to lay soon

Last edited:
Do you have multiple feeders and ample clutter to provide hiding spots? Also what is "extra space" specifically vs number of birds - to some folks 100 sq ft is a lot of space, to others 2 acres is, so I don't know where you are in that range.

If all the above have been provided for, have you tried pinless peepers on the bully?

I had a broody hen who I separated from the flock in a pen I built inside the coop after she hatched. They could all see each other while she raised the babies until they got around 12 weeks. During that time; I cut the coop in half with chicken wire and each side had its own run; the momma and babies in one; the other 7 in the other.

I had a bully hen when I went to reintroduce them. So I did it gradually for about 2 weeks. About an hour a day of supervised and then one morning early I the dark; I placed them all together. I still had some bullying. So I started multiple feeding sites and waterers. Soon I dropped it back down to my usual two and two in the same place.

It’s aggravating because they can be so mean. But, one of my hatched babies turned out to be a rooster. (His father died in September) but I think he’s helped keep order. The bully hen learned really quick that the big boy was the new sheriff. So far so good for us. They all seem to be fine now. 8 hens and a roo.

Good luck. Hope my story helps with ideas

So upon further research, I think I am going to keep her in a crate in the coop for two days. I feel bad having her in there but she is so mean she deserves it. but will she lay her eggs in the crate?

Back
Top Bottom