1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bully Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ambe0487, Apr 9, 2016.

1. ambe0487

ambe0487 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA
    I have on hen that is mean to everyone in the flock. She pecks on all the babies still after 2 weeks of them being in with them (after 2 additional weeks of integration).

Yesterday I noticed a small bird flew into the yard and she pecked it so bad that it died. Is this normal behavior?

2. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    Sometimes you just get mean chicken. Try taking her out of the flock for a week or so and when she comes back she will be at the bottom of the pecking order. So hopefully she will be put in her place.

3. ambe0487

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA
    I took her and another hen out for 24 hours after the first week and she just upped right back in as top hen. Does it need to be a week? Should I have her by herself or with another lady?

4. sbhkma

sbhkma Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a bully hen too. She'd chase the other gals clear across the yard (they roam on about 4 acres) just to peck them and jump on them. She was just mean and it was causing SO much stress in the flock. When it was time to roost, they all wanted to wait until almost dark and let the bully hen hopefully sleep before they tried to get in the coop and on the roost bars. I got rid of her. It's been peaceful ever since and the hen that's now in charge is a great lead hen.

5. ambe0487

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA
    :/

:/ Dang, sorry she was so mean. My girls isn't quite this bad but I know if she gets this bad then she can go bye bye! I'm sure there are plenty of people who want her blue eggs! :D

6. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    One of mine will fly out of nowhere when someone is eating or for now reason and attack! The other day i was holding one and she ran up and pecked her hard on the head! I shooed her away then got up, nice chicken in hand, and gave chase! She gave up for a while then did it again so i gave chase again. After that the nice little buff orp didnt want to leave mt lap!!! Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by