1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bully hen

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by holly777, Oct 30, 2014.

1. holly777

holly777 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2014
    I have 7 females and there is this one girl that goes in and runs the other hens out of there nest and won't even lay eggs in the nests? Why is this?

2. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Maybe she's just trying to be the dominant hen or acting as a rooster if you don't have one... You could remove her for a little while and reintroduce her and see if it changes the order...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  3. holly777

Oct 30, 2014
    I have a rooster and she is finally trying to lay but he had to fix her nest and also he is standing guard over her as we speak. I have never seen a rooster do that before!!!!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

She is probably the flock leader over the hens. Don't let her bully the others out of the nest boxes. You may need to separate her out for a few weeks or use pinless peepers on her so she can't bully the others around. Never let one bird be a bully.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!

1 person likes this.
  5. holly777

Oct 30, 2014
    I also have one more question is it normal for a rooster to stand watch over the female while laying. That is the only way she settled down to lay with him standing right beside her.

6. hennible

I've never seen it .... sounds like he really likes her.
    I have seen hens "bow" or squat for the rooster to get some attention.

7. holly777

Oct 30, 2014
    He stood by her side until she layed the egg then both of them left the nesting area. I have never saw but whatever makes her feel safe.

8. hennible

Now that's kind of neat, they really paired up...
    I bet that's why she so hard on the other hands she wants the rooster to just pay attention to her... It's bird jealousy :D

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Not sure if you have seen it, but there is a nice article on Bully behavior in the Learning Center https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/bullying-behavior-in-chickens
    Some roosters really have favorite hens that they will hang around with pretty much all of the time, some roos really do the checking out nest box thing where they try to convince the girls that they have found the prefect box.

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

You've received some good advice already!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by