Bully Peking

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ConchRepublic, Jan 25, 2010.

1. ConchRepublic

ConchRepublic Looking For My Marbles

Jan 22, 2010
    Dunnellon, Fl
    We have a Peking drake, that until recently was fine. A couple days ago though, he started chasing our hens. He doesn't bother the female Peking we have, or really cares about the 5 new ducklings much, but he chases the 5 hens we have al around their coop. The other day he had grabbed one of our little RIRs by the neck and pinned her to the ground, but not trying to mate, just grabbed her and pinned her down. Anything we can do short of getting rid of him?

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Not sure but hopefully someone can help ...

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Pekin males are like that.

He is trying to breed your hens. Drakes will breed anything with a vent.

You might want to separate the drake from the chickens. Also, he will go after the ducklings given the opportunity.

4. ConchRepublic

ConchRepublic Looking For My Marbles

Jan 22, 2010
    Dunnellon, Fl
    He's not really trying to breed. No mounting or anything like that. He just grabs them by the neck or head and starts to shove them into the ground with his neck, not even bothering to try to get on them. The ducklings are still in a brooder but they have meet before when we brought the male and female inside for a bit. He didn't even look at them with all their peeping (they were still in the brooder and he was outside it though).

We separated him from the rest hens but don't have another pen yet, in the process of making one but wont be done for a bit.

5. Shadowhills Farm

Shadowhills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    If anyone can help us, that would be great!!

Right now he's sitting in the large dog crate we have. I feel bad for our hens because they don't bother him and keep their space...

6. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Sounds like he's miffed that the Hens aren't doing the head bobbing come get me duck dance for him so he's bobbing those heads himself LOL All I can think of is to seperate him from them, just keep him with his ducks. Hope you can get his pen set up soon.

Michelle

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    If he is a young drake, he has the instincts to do something but not quite sure yet. It is breeding behavior.

He can kill your hens so it is good you separated them.

Can you get him some more ducks? A pekin drake can handle several and if he only has one, can hurt her with overmating.

8. Shadowhills Farm

Shadowhills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    We only have one female Pekin with him. The rest of the ducks we sold and the ducklings are way too small.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by