Bully RIR

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sofi, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Sofi

Sofi Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2012
    Raleigh/Garner, NC
    Hi everyone!

I introduced two new chickens to the flock yesterday, a buff orpington and a speckled sussex. I have four other girls, and they are all the same age (point of lay).

Everything was going pretty smooth it seemed. Then my Rhode Island pullet started acting really nasty towards the new girls.

The speckled sussex does a really good job at defending herself, the orp not so much! The RIR is not allowing them in the coop!! They stayed outside most of the day (they have food and water, and they snuggled together in the sun). Today was really cold (for central NC that is, low to mid 20s) but tomorrow is supposed to be much better (almost 50). I lock them up tonight inside the coop (I was hoping they could all snuggle together and stay warm), but I'm nervous about my poor sweet orpington.

My question is: will my RIR get used to the new girls? Is there anything I can do to help her "get along"?

The other hens (barred rock and two easter eggers) get along with the new girls just fine!

Thanks in advance.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    A common approach ot this is to remove the "bully" for a week, then return her to the flock. She should return at or near the low end of the pecking order.

3. Sofi

Sofi Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2012
    Raleigh/Garner, NC
    Thanks! I'm back and forth on it. I don't want her to sleep alone while the cold snap lasts, but I just might have too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by