Bully

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tjcharles, Nov 15, 2013.

1. tjcharles

tjcharles Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2013
    Hope this is the right forum . . . . . I had to pull my SLW two weeks ago due to other chickens pecking her. I am trying to get her back in the large coop so she will lay, and she is better. One of my EEs is the bully. How do I stop that behavior? She has been back for about 24 hours with the flock. Thank you for any and all advise and guidance!,
    TJ

2. xmonster0

xmonster0 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2013
    Calhan Colorado
    is the bully a rooster or a hen?

3. tjcharles

Nov 5, 2013
    It is. Hen. We don't have Roos. She used to be the shy one and bottom of the pecking order.

4. xmonster0

Jun 1, 2013
    Calhan Colorado
    i have to ask buthow much space do your hens have ? how many square feet of coop and run or do they free range

and are you familiar with pecking order? or is it outside the scope of that?

also how much feed do they get per day?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  5. tjcharles

Nov 5, 2013
    We have 6 hens with 70 square feet. They have food all the time so they can graze. We have upped the protein as well. I understand pecking order. My bully used to be the shy timid one at the bottom. The pecked one was at the top. Right now, my bully is in a separate enclosure. We can't free range due to hawks and coyotes.

6. xmonster0

Jun 1, 2013
    Calhan Colorado
    hmmm just a mean streak the conditions are all ideal in your coop

id keep her seperated for 2 weeks and then put her back in for a couple days to get past pecking order again

if that doesnt work id consider rehoming or the dreaded chopping block :/

7. tjcharles

Nov 5, 2013
    Will try the two weeks. Am not too excited about the chopping block. My 10 year old son is very attached to all of our hens. I guess just wait and see. Thank you for the advise!!! Happy eggs to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by