Bully

Discussion in 'Quail' started by LeenaB, Dec 30, 2013.

1. LeenaB

LeenaB Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2013
    I was cleaning out my cages today- only had them 2 days so far and clean twice a day. When I was cleaning this morning I noticed one of my two cages had bloody birds. I discovered a male and female in the cage were the only 2 not injured. The other 3 hens were a bloody mess. I took the bullies out of the cage and put them in their own cage together. So much for thinking 1:4 was a good ratio.

Granted these quail were already fairly beat up when I got them.

So, do I try to reintegrate the 5 back together or just leave them be?

My other cage of 5 seems to be getting along well, at least so far.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Make sure to offer them up enough room. Some quail feel stressed when kept in what they think is cramped quarters. Are these Coturnix quail? Generally these birds can tolerate 1 square foot per bird. However sometimes they need more space. So first thing you might do is make more room for them...maybe 2 square feet per bird. You might also give them something to do to avoid boredom and aggression. Put in some cut branches they can climb on and hide amongst the leaves. Even fake foliage will work well. Put a low box of hay or weeds to dig around in. Maybe put some dirt in there as well. Give them something to do other than pick on each other.

Sometimes birds just don't like each other. So sometimes you have to figure out who gets along with whom. Don't put any birds back in with open wounds or the others will pick on them. Let the injuries heal before mixing back in.

Also, give them a once over for mites, bugs, clean vents, skin, eyes, noses, breathing issues, etc...ill birds can become aggressive.

Good luck with your birds!

3. LeenaB

Nov 22, 2013
    They came from overcrowded conditions of at least 15 per sq ft if not more. Right now they have just slightly under 1 sq ft per bird. They're conturnix. The two bullies now have just over 2 sq ft. Their cage has branches, a corner box with hay bedding as well as feeders.

I cleaned them up when I got them, and didn't see any mites. A few of the girls are fairly bare from being over mated. So it was an easy check. I dusted everyone with DE anyway.

Eyes are another issue- quite a few are missing eyes.

Yes, they're in very rough condition.

I didn't expect to end up with birds who needed to be nursed back to health.

4. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    If they have come from aggressive conditions, it will take time to work it out of them. Give them as much space as you possibly can. Give them things to do...cut up veggies, quartered fruit, things to occupy their time.

Good luck with your new flock!

5. LeenaB

Nov 22, 2013
    Can I feed them the same fruits and veggies that I do my chickens?

Generally my chickens get veggie and fruit scraps: apple cores, carrot peelings, ends of lettuce and spinach.

Just checked in on them for the night and the 3 hens in a cage are asleep with heads tucked under their wings.

The bullies don't have any injuries.

And the 5 in a cage are still good.

Thanks TwoCrows

6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yes, quail eat pretty much the same goodies that chickens eat, but need to be cut up smaller for quail. There are good nutrients in veggies that they do not get in gamebird food alone. :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  7. Waste

Waste Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2013
    Freeport, Bahamas
    does anyone know where I can buy some fertilized Butler Quail eggs

8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Not at this time of year, but come spring there should be lots out there. I started my Butler flock from eggs from Murray McMurray hatchery. They pack the eggs quite well, and never was there a broken egg in the shipment. My hatch rate was always 50% or better, which is good for shipped eggs. Quality, healthy large birds. I have a few birds from one of my orders 7 years ago...the birds are still thriving.

9. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Like twocrows said you will pretty much have to wait until spring for bobwhite eggs. If you are looking for a large quantity (100+) you should consider ordering soon because most breeders start taking orders months before they have eggs dropping, because demand is so high. Not as many people rushing to get butlers because the don't perform as well as the northerns but there is still a healthy demand for any bobwhite come spring time. If your looking for them for dog training or hunting you may want to avoid butlers the dogs just snatch them right off the ground before they even have a chance to flush and come bouncing back with a ticked off live bobwhite in their mouths.

10. Waste

Waste Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2013
    Freeport, Bahamas
    Thanks. Do you have any contact for Butler Quail eggs. I am in the bahamas therefore would prefer someone on the east coast or better still Florida
    Looking for meat birds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by