Bullying chick problem

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicks Galore3, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I just got my chicks today!!!! They are eating and drinking just fine. Only one problem. One is a bully chick. she/he will grab another chicks leg and pull it out from under her/him. The bully is also the biggest chick. Is this something to worry about? Ways to stop it? Thanks!

Edit- another question. They are picking at the shavings like crazy! should i cover them?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  2. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    I have read that new-hatched chicks don't really know the difference between food and the shavings and can fill up on the shavings and actually not get enough real food to eat. When mine were 3 days old I put shavings down but decided to remove them until about week 3 due to the same problem.

I just put down paper towel in the brood box so that they can get their footing. (No newspapers except underneith till they're older...it can cause splayed legs as the newspapers are slippery.) The paper towel is working great and if I want to put a little food on the towels it is very clear that it's food to them.

So...my 2 cents worth is to use the paper towel for a couple weeks until they're well established. You can just keep putting a new layer of paper towel on top a couple times a day as it becomes soiled.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  3. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    RE: Picking at shavings
    Chicks pick at EVERYTHING. Don't worry about them picking at the shavings. It's how they "discover" their world.

RE: Bully Chick
    Sometimes you get a chick that turns out to be a bully. For the most part this is not usually a problem.
    If the bully chick is drawing blood, I would separate it.
    I had a bully chick and we named her "Cull" for a reason.
    We ended up keeping her and when she grew up, none of the other chickens were her friends.
    She grew out of bullying everyone, but she's left with no friends.
    The other chickens don't even allow her to roost near them and they don't like her eating at the same time they're eating.
    A year later she is still a loner. She's also the most skittish of the bunch.

4. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Thanks! I have two, but they aren't drawing blood. I named one of them 'Attila the Hen'. :) They are not as bad as i thought at first. Just grumpy. [​IMG]

5. musikfan6

musikfan6 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2012
    Lititz, PA
    I have a BR that seems to be pretty self-centered. She runs at the others and peeps really loud at them like she's disgusted or something. I wouldn't call her a bully, but I think she's on her way to being persnickety. She is the least friendly of the brood. She'll eat out of my hand, but that's about it. It'll be interesting to see what she's like once she gets into the coop.

6. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Thanks guys! Another question-They were all moving around this morning but now they are just sleeping under the heat lamp. Are they just tired? They purk up when we open the door. it's probably just me being a overprotective mommy. [​IMG]

7. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    They are getting sooooooooooooooo much tamer! One, dandelion, will sleep in my hand. She claims my hands 'her' private property and tries to shoo everybody away. LOL it is sooooooooooooo funny!

8. Ourfamilyflock

Ourfamilyflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Central Oregon
    Yesterday was chick mayhem here, while we were eating the chicks were being quite noisy, we thought they just wanted to share our dinner, but when we finally looked our small BR was bullying a RIR twice her side, she kept pecking her in the same spot in the back, and eventually it drew blood then the one of the others couldnt resist either. We separated them out, then got the Rooster Booster Peck No More stuff, which seems to have stopped the pecking but not the overall bullying.

Oddly enough the BR that is doing the bullying is the calmest of the girls, she is the last to try anything and more often just stands in one spot and peeps, until its time to eat, then shes pushing the others around as much as she can. Normal behavior? Or do we have a chick with something wrong? When we take the BR out, it just stands there, the others all look around and want to perch and be close to each other, but not Hopscotch, who just stands still and looks forward.

9. Ourfamilyflock

Ourfamilyflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Central Oregon
    Sleeping under the heat lamp is very normal. Chicks are known for doing a few things. Eating, Peeping, Pooping, Peeping and falling asleep at a moments notice, did I mention Peeping?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by