1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bullying chick

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cooper45, Apr 24, 2017.

1. cooper45

cooper45 Just Hatched

Apr 12, 2017
    I have one EE chick, approx 7 weeks old that consistently plucks the feathers out of 3 other chicks backs/tails. I put BluKote and Pick-no-more on, and that seemed to stop it for a time, but always starts up again within a few days. I was initially separating the chickens that were getting plucked to allow them to heal, but now just have the one doing the plucking separated. She's in a dog crate in the run with the other chicks, so they can see each other but she can't get to them. The problem is, they all still sleep next to her (against the side of the dog crate) so they are still getting plucked. My other EE is the usual victim, and every time a few feathers start growing on her back, they get plucked out and she starts bleeding. Any solutions to this? Will they ever learn to get along? They have ample space and plenty of food/water. It's also not too hot here. 70's in the day with a lot of shade,and 50's at night. These are my first chicks, so I'm not sure if this is normal behavior.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by