Bullying-Ducks are so mean!

samuelsonfarm

Chirping
6 Years
May 27, 2013
Hi there everyone,
This is my first flock of ducks, so I'm new to all of this! I have 13 ducks in all, they were hatched May 26th of this year. One of my drakes (a cayuga) has had a limp from very early on in his life. We've tried everything we could to get him well, but it seems as though he's just doomed to be a "lame duck" so to speak. Well, the ducks are starting to mate, and the other drakes have become VERY cruel to little blueberry the lame duck. They chase him around, try to mount him, and have pulled out a patch of feathers on his neck. They act as though they are mating with him, but they gang up and hold his neck for a long time. I don't know what to do except to keep him separated from the group at all times. I have him in a small coop with fresh food and water. He is a very sweet and tame duck, and I feel so terrible that this is happening to him. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent this agressive behavior from the other drakes? There is one in particular that is always after him. Help!

Easy solution is to get rid of the overly aggressive drake/drakes. Eventually they may very likely start gang breeding your duck hens causing serious problems including drowning if they have a pond. Too many sexually aggressive drakes in a flock is almost always a problem.

A friend of min separated her aggressive drake from the rest of the flock for a day and a night. When she re-introduced him to the others, he was much calmer.

I have a hen who's behaving aggressively toward my drake. I kept her inside for a night(as I can't fully separate at the moment), but I haven't noticed any big changes in her temperament. Maybe it really does have to be a full day and night for this particular method to work?

Otherwise, I agree with sourland. If they're going to behave like that, they could easily kill a hen or even your Cayuga drake.

Don't anthropomorphize....ducks are not humans...they are not bullying...they are showing dominance to weaker individuals...a limping duck is a target...remove it...

Clint

Actually, Clint, 'bullying' isn't really anthropomorphizing. There are a lot of animals that bully without the intention being to dominate another being.

That being said, yes, I do agree that drakes compete for mating rights and a top status. Either way, I do feel this particular behavior isn't acceptable and does need to be mended. Plenty of drakes coexist without using physical force to maintain leader status.

To ascribe human features to your ducks is great after all it's your choice! Sourland has given you some great advice. I appreciate your compassion for the weaker we all have disabilities of some sort.

Back
Top Bottom