1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bullying hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BrianT, Oct 10, 2010.

1. BrianT

BrianT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    North FL
    I have an EE that I kind of think may be a rooster. The rest of my chickens kind of bully this bird. Will hens bully roosters or is it possible for this bird to just be a picked on hen? The bullied bird was introduced to the flock that had been established already, but other birds were introduced later and even my two small (8 inch tall) OEGB chase it. They were introduced 1 month prior to this bird and they seem to fit right in. Thanks.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    How old are they?

Offhand I'd say the one being bullied is at the bottom of the pecking order.

3. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:Sounds the same to me. Eventually they should stop chasing it but it will probably always be the last to eat and drink.

4. BrianT

BrianT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    North FL
    Even if it turns out to be a rooster it will be at the bottom of the pecking order?

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    certainly possible, esp. if they are young, which I assumed they are since you are not sure whether one are a rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by