Bullying Muscovy pair...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DrChickenKev, Oct 25, 2011.

1. DrChickenKev

DrChickenKev Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2011
    As some of you will know, we have Muscovy Ducks....

Now we managed to acquire a mating couple about 3 months ago, and the hen had chicks that were around a month old. We didnt take the chicks, couldnt afford them.

Anyway, the hen was getting a LOT of attention from the drake, possibly 6 or 7 times a day, so we boughta couple more hens to kind of even the balance.

I was told that the new hens were from last year's batch but on reflection they were quite small and we think they may have been younger than we were told - you live n learn hey...

They all got on well together at first (of sorts), and they've been together for a couple of months

However, recently I've noticed that the two new girls seem to be getting pushed around not just by the male, but also by his original partner, which may be natural.

Normally they all hang around til its pitch black and I have to shoo them into their house (must upload pics as I'm quite proud of my handywork), but what IS strange is that around dusk the male goes into the house, los his original girlie in and then when the two newer girls try to go in he physically forces them out with much peeping and squeaking on the girls' part...

This seems to happen with feeding but I assumed it was the male dominance thing, but then even when its pitch black now there still seems to be some squabbling when the younger hens go into the house...

Any thoughts??

Is this normal?

Just a bit of change in pace?

Do I need to seperate?

What else can I tell you... Male and original girlie are both moulting; we havent had any eggs for about 2 weeks, which I guessed as the change in seasons; similarly his amorous advances have stopped, but again I understand this to be seasonal...

Any thoughts?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I know what you are saying, we have 6 adult muscovies 1 drake and 5 females, well as most know we had a only duckling hatch in June and it is a drake too, so we went and got 3 more girls for him. But what I want to say is this pecking order is going on here to, but I keep all my ducks in" bedrooms" so to speak at night. Having 2 drakes and a gander share in open living space doesn't go over very good, so I have them paired up when bedtime comes around. Goose and his mama in one bedroom 2 sisters [adults] together, 3 new girls together, and 2 more adult sisters together then my youngest drake in the last bedroom. It's broken up in like stalls except with tops made of hardware cloth for air and so they don't jump/climb out of their rooms. Are you making sure the new girls are getting plenty to eat? you might have to have more than one feeder. I have several around because I have chickens too and this way everyone gets plenty to eat. This will likely continue into spring when all H breaks through and he won't care if they are new or not, he'll just want to breed. But he might always have a special one mine does. As long as they aren't physically attacking and drawing blood it's just part of duck behavior. They'll have to work it out.

3. DrChickenKev

Oct 5, 2011
    Good idea actually, maybe splitting the house into two rooms...

This is what I built for them out of scrap wood....

Perhaps I should show this off on a different thread...?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I like it but do wonder if it's large enough.. Muscovy are such big birds.. how many do you have in there? and what are the dimensions since pics can be rather deceiving.

5. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I would say they need more space. Mine are kept in 16' x 16' pens with 4' x 4' shelters. I keep trios or quads in a space that size and they're out ranging about during the day if I'm home and it's not snowing.

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

As far as normal....yes, to some extent. Mine don't really bicker much...there is a dominate female who bosses around the drake and the other females in each pen. In one pen, the dominate female is 8 years old. [​IMG]

7. DrChickenKev

Oct 5, 2011
    I'll get you guys some dimensions tomorrow, although I could easily seperate inside with two rooms which work, sounds feasible..

Thanks for all the replies so far

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They do need their space. but I like your house, you did a great job with scrap wood. thats what we built ours out of.

9. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

build another one just like it for the other 2.. they definatley need more room ... your house is very nice tho !!

10. DrChickenKev

Oct 5, 2011
    Thanks for the kind messages, they are available at $200 a piece, although delivery will be $2500 from the UK to the States...

Anyhoo, I've measured and its approx 1 metre square, around 90cm x 85cm on the base, height is about the same.

They all fit into it and sit together in the corner, although someone suggested making rooms, which could do

I did want to keep them altogether as well...

????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by