1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bullying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SurbFarmGirl, Mar 5, 2016.

1. SurbFarmGirl

SurbFarmGirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2015
    I have 4 hens. My 2 Wyandottes pick on my Easter Egger ... badly. We noticed 2 days ago she has no feathers on her rear end. None. When I'm outside I try to stop them ... but obviously can't be with them all day. I've read to separate them but then worry it will start again (and honestly not sure how to separate them). Is there anything I can do/give them to help??

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    How big is your set up? I am reading a lot about Wyandotte and them becoming bullies in a smaller set up. You might need to give your birds more room. Also how old are they and what are you feeding them?

3. SurbFarmGirl

Apr 9, 2015
    They will be a year next month .... their set up is pretty big and they free range during day. I just got home and now her rear end is bleeding. This is my first "I need medication" help. What do I do??????

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If you don't separate them, they will kill her.

I will never own Wyanottes again. I bought 4 of them. After reaching about one year of age, they began moving through the flock like a pack of sharks, attacking any hen that did not vacate the area. After having to medicate several hens, I put pinless peepers on the Wyandottes. However, it was not long before they were chicken soup.

1 person likes this.
  5. SurbFarmGirl

Apr 9, 2015
    OMG.

6. enola

They were literally causing so much havoc in the coop that when the Wyandottes were gone egg production increased.....

7. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Spray the wound with bluekote and remove the troublemakers. I would do as enola says. Good luck.

8. Paganrose

Paganrose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Albany,, Wisconsin
    Wow Enola! Sorry to hear your wyandottes were so mean. Where did you get them from?

I have had Wyandottes, and they were defiantly a bit more dominate than some other breeds I had, but by no means mean. I also kept a flock from 16-30 birds, and had plenty of free range space.

I would separate out the mean birds, for at least a week to reset the pecking order, and get some blue coat for your hen pecked gal. If after wards they continue their nastiness, you could try pin-less peepers, although personally I would either re-home or stew.

9. enola

They came from Tractor Supply.

Why would you want to rehome them? I would be really ticked off if some one passed that problem off to me.....

10. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I avoid the tractor supply chicks for other reasons, but now I will add that to the list. I would agree, sometimes culling is kinder to the birds in the end. My Wyandotte have never shown aggression and are one of my favorite breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by