Bullying

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hetti, Apr 14, 2017.

1. hetti

hetti New Egg

Mar 12, 2017
    I've got 6 chicks altogether 5 silver lace wyandottes and a black mottled Pekin bantam. The silver lace are 4 weeks old and the bantam is 2 and a half. Even though it's tiny the bantam bully's the others. It won't let them near the food or water. I put more separate food and water but it just runs after them pecking at there bottoms. They seem generally scared of it so what should I do???

2. Stephine

Stephine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    Isolate where it can still see the other chicks with a separate area made with hardware cloth. You'll probably have to make your brooder a bit bigger to make sure it still has good heat conditions. And then try every few days to see if it improved. give it something soft to cuddle up to since it'll be a bit lonely.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Isolating in a small "jail" cage in the midst of the others works pretty well. Aart has recommended that tactic in her posts. Rig a cube out of chicken wire and place the chick in it for a time-out.

What I always recommend is to discipline the bully chick with a poke to the back when the chick misbehaves. It's a form of aversion training and it works quite fast when you keep after the bully.

Scroll down to my article linked below on how to deal with aggressive chicks. There are other tips for kitting out your brooder to prevent this from being a problem.

4. Stephine

Stephine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    Azygous can you add the link?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by