Bullying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Buchananpl, May 30, 2010.

1. Buchananpl

Buchananpl Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2010
    Well we have 2 cochins and a white leghorn that free range all day and go into the coop at night, today I got 2 ex battery brown ISA and I was expecting a bit of pecking but one of the Cochins is really going for the isas my 3 original birds are roosting in the top part of the coop as it is dark here but the isas won't go upstairs and are huddled in the bottom of the coop. Do I force them up there or will they come round over time?

2. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    OK, formalities first... [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now, let's see, what was your question....

Hmm, if they're ex-battery, they probably won't have a clue how to roost. They'll learn it from the other birds over time or you may wish to gently set them up on the roost.

I don't think I'd force the issue right now unless the bottom part of the coop is less safe or secure. Give them a little time to sort themselves out and keep an eye on them to make sure they don't get too abused while the pecking order is being established.

Good luck & [​IMG] to you for taking them on.

3. Buchananpl

Buchananpl Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2010
    Well one ISA is now in the top of the coop with the others, the other ISA has done very little all day and just stands there. She is still not going up there but hopefully she will soon

4. Fowl_language

Fowl_language Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    Australia
    I have quite a similar situation too!! just bought 2 Isa brown pullets last week and introduced them to my Australorps and silkies. It took them a while to roost with the others but they eventually got it, the pecking continues tho. Straight away the Australorps and Silkies started to peck the Isa browns. Now its changed, my Isa's are now pecking the Silkies, the Silkies are pecking the Australorps and the Australorps are pecking my Isa Browns!!!! Im just gonna wait and see what happens, im sure they'll evntually figure it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by