bullying

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by plantguy90, Jul 27, 2010.

1. plantguy90

plantguy90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Moorpark, CA
    So I noticd a BO pullet was kind of listless and weak looking so I started tending to her when I also noticed two silkie "brothers" really bullying her badly, so bad I locked the "boys" up for a bit until I figured things out. The color is gone from her combs and such and she is listless. I dont think its a disease but cant be sure, I've had cocci attacks before and I dont see the same poop or smells. My run is 12 x 24 and I thought that was planty of space for 7 silkies and 7 layers. She will drink when I dipher beak in the water, but she hasn't eaten recently. any ideas about the bullying?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    You did the right thing as far as the bullying goes. As far as the hen is concerned- have you checked for parasites lately? Pale and listless describes many things, but mostly screams "Mites!" to me. Grab your hen off the roost at night when mites are active. Using a flashlight check her body over carefully for tiny, sand-sized moving particles. Check around her vent especially where mites tend to congregate. Check her soon. A heavy mite load will kill birds quickly.

Good luck.

3. plantguy90

plantguy90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Moorpark, CA
    Mites? I have some diatomaceous earth, but nothing else, i can dust her real quick... right now i have quarrantined her in the run, just because she is so weak i can put food and water next to her and nobody will bother her.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    DE doesn't work on an infestation. I have my doubts about it as a deterrent, as well. If your birds have mites they need to be treated with an insecticide ASAP. You can get Sevin or poultry dust from your local agriculture store or Walmart. You may already be to late to save your hen, but if your birds have a heavy mite load you may save the others from the same fate. You need to check them over very soon. I can't stress how dangerous mites are to birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by