Bullying??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PaulaG, Oct 23, 2011.

1. PaulaG

PaulaG Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi, I am new to keeping chickens, got 3 girls 2 weeks ago.
    A light sussex, a bluebell and what i thought was a rhode island red. The rhode island had a bit of a runny nose when i got her home but i put it down to the journey, change of scene etc. Yesterday she had a nose bleed and had been sneezing for a few days. I phoned the nursery where i bought her and it turns out she was some type of rhode island bantam?? They said they would take her back as that wasnt what i wanted (i just thought she was young and thats why she was small?) I did say i was a novice :-/
    When i got there i was told she was a befordshire something?? Anyway, i chose a silver sussex. When i got her home i put her with the other 2 and they have been chasing her and they have all been growling. Will this settle down? And to top this off, the light sussex looked like she had a snotty nose! Terrified that the bantam had a cold and now the others might have it.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Chickens do indeed pass infections form one to another, so there is that legitimate concern.

As to the fighting, a chicken lives in a social structure that is very tight, filled with rules and that social structure is very strict. Just putting together hens from different flocks is to introduce birds that have never seen each other before and the social order, the pecking order, so called, is all upset. They takes takes, even weeks to sort it out and the methods they use can be brutal.

Hope it settles down for you soon.

3. PaulaG

Oct 23, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Thanks

They roosted together ok last night, i went and checked. The newbie (Janet) was tucked up in between the other 2. This morning however the bullying has started again. She is also making a noise that is cross between a gurgle and a growl, its very quiet. Do you think this could just be a defensive kind of noise?

Paula

4. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    If it's a growl, it's a normal chicken noise; however, if it's actually a gurgle, it could instead be a sign of some kind of respiratory infection.

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:x2

It sounds like there is some respiratory issues going on with the runny noses and gurgling..

6. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup sounds like it might be an infection.
    I would put the sick girl in quarantine for a while until she's better.
    As for the bullying, I always say put the mean girl in time out. Make her the newbie and she'll be less likely to bully.

7. PaulaG

Oct 23, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Thanks for all your help. bullying seems to have settled a little. they were all drinking together earlier. my new girl wasn't hiding as much today.
    It sounds more of a growl i think but will keep an eye on it.
    As for the funny nose, that seems to have gone and can't see any mucous at all. Again though will keep an eye on it.
    Whoever would have predicted all this either keeping a few chickens in the garden??!! Thank god for this web site!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by