Bullying!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LoveMyFeatherBabies, Nov 9, 2011.

1. LoveMyFeatherBabies

LoveMyFeatherBabies Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2011
    Shelby, NC
    I have one hen who has no tail feathers....and I'm pretty sure its from the other hens bullying her. Is there a way to stop this?? Also I have a few hens who appear to be our rooster's favorite because they are losing feathers on their wings where he grips them, can I do anything about this?? I don't want my girls to be hurt but I also understand that they are animals and it is their natural way.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello! For you hens that are the rooster's favorite, why don't you buy a few hen saddles. I've had the same problem, and I bought some from a BYC member who lists hers for sale on the "Everything else for sale" section. My hens look so darned cute with those hen saddles on, and it protects their backs from the rooster's nails. They don't seem to mind wearing them either.

As far as the hen with the missing tail feathers, get some Blue Cote spray and spray her entire bottom with it. She will have a bright blue behind, but the chickens aren't really attracted to that color, so maybe it will take the attention off of her rear end, and the other hens won't be so interested in her.

Hope this helps,
    Sharon

3. LoveMyFeatherBabies

Nov 8, 2011
    Shelby, NC
    Great suggestions!! Thank you!!!

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I do urge you to watch and see if you can figure out who is getting this started. There's one starting the pecking and the others just follow along. If it doesn't improve with the blu cote or other ways, you might have to separate the mean one for a week. A week in chicken jail will reset her place in the flock.

5. LoveMyFeatherBabies

Nov 8, 2011
    Shelby, NC
    We do have an extra chicken tractor that could be used as a jail...I will try to figure out who is starting it. Thank you!! [​IMG]

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    When I need a saddle, I pull out a scrap of polarfleece or sweatshirt fabric and make one, with scissors only (I sew, but it's not necessary for a saddle.) Scroll way down this link to see where I got the idea: (I don't make the tail hole, only the wing holes)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=167

Not nearly as cute as the ones for sale here, but it works. You can also just put duct tape right on feathers that are being worn down. It will fall off when they molt.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Agree, very good idea.

8. mini-micro rancher

mini-micro rancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    SW Oregon
    A WEEK?! I know this is an old post, but I just want to be sure because I'm about to separate a bossy mean girl. Is there a possibility that she'll go broody? I DON'T want that. What about just separating a bedtime?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by