Bullying?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hansen6dad, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Hansen6dad

Hansen6dad Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    I have 3 Barred Rocks and 1 Partridge Silkie in my flock. They are 12 or 13 weeks old, they are all pullets, and they get along great. I recently got a 5 to 6 week old Rhode Island Red pullet, and everytime I put her in the run the Rocks peck the hell out of her, I know they are showing their dominance, but they are alot bigger and I am afraid they will hurt her. I currently have her in the run but in a smaller cage to keep them from pecking. Should I keep her in the cage for awhile so they can get used to her, or should I let her out and let nature take it's course? Concerned parent!

Hansen6dad

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Pecking order is already established at that age and they have their core flock. Outsiders are not welcome.
    I doubt if it will work just putting her in a run with them. Can you free range them together during the day. That's the best way for them to accept an newbie.
    The best way would be to remove the BRs and put the RIR in with the silkie for a few days so they can bond. Then every few days reintroduce ONE BR at a time so they will be the new bird.
    Introducing a single younger bird to an established flock is one of the hardest things to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by