Bullying

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Fletcher4, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Fletcher4

Fletcher4 New Egg

Dec 11, 2014
    I recently noticed that my Delaware was loosing feathers around her neck. She is too young to be molting, but has been in with the other chickens since July. We also added a Black Sex Link at the same time. Both the same age.

We have 6 chickens a large coop and run area and we let them free range in the afternoon/evening when we are home. We have birds of pray of that live close to our home so they are not safe to free range when we are not in the yard with them.

I came home the other afternoon and found my Delaware laying in the run with all the feathers on her head missing and a huge gash from the top of her head to the base of her neck. The gash was so deep I could see muscle. I tried to to nurse her back to health, but she never came too and died a few hours later. I was devastated.

I have since her death, only a few days noticed feathers missing on the neck and head of the Black Sex Link. I am giving my two New Hampshire Reds away, They are the only ones who are never missing feathers out of the group. I have observed their aggressive behavior toward the other hens, but never dreamed they would kill. My other chickens have stopped laying completely. I have two black asutrolops and one silver lace Wyondott. All seemed very friendly, but will no longer let me pet them in the yard like they used to and seem very nervous. Will they be ok once the Reds are removed? I know that the whole pecking order thing will have to take place again because there will be a change in the flock, but will the remaining chickens pick up the habits of the Reds?

Do I need to start all over with new chickens? I have read that the other remaining chickens are usually docile and easy to keep. I am hoping that by removing the other two things will improve quickly. I just wish I had figured out what was going on before I lost my Delaware. She was the sweetest most dog like chicken ever!!!!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would like to replace the Reds with more Sex Links, or Buff Orpingtons.

Please help.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Removing the culprits from the flock should help things for sure, it was a good decision. The remainder of the flock will settle down and relax over time. Let them get used to the change in the flock dynamics and reestablish their pecking order, before changing anything else. Good luck!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm so sorry - how sad. Before I discovered BYC I never knew chickens could be so bloodthirsty and cannibalistic.

4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC. I'm sorry for the loss of your Delaware, it sounds like she was a sweetie. Hope things go better for you!

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about your Delaware. [​IMG]

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I am so sorry about all the aggression. [​IMG]Sometimes a flock will contain some aggressive birds. And you are doing right by rehoming these birds. The rest of the flock will settle down once these birds are gone. You can do sit with them in the run and let them become comfortable again. Bring some goodies and let them hang out with you on the floor. Do this every day for a few weeks. You might also put a ticking clock in the coop at night. This will act as white noise and really allow them to calm down and sleep well. I keep one in my coop 24/7 and my birds have far less stress than they did before the clock.

I hope your heavy heart can heal soon. [​IMG]

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

So sorry about the problem!![​IMG]

8. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC!!! The members here are great!!! This is the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM ON EARTH!!!!

Hope you have fun and if you need anything we are here to help!!

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by