1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bum leg? Slipped tendon? Anyone have a clue? Added PIC

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Farm Chic, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Farm Chic

Farm Chic Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    Davisburg, MI
    we just received our chicks today and we got all 15 that we ordered plus 1 [​IMG]

they all seem to have adjusted beautifully, eating and drinking well. However, I have one that doesn't seem to be able to stand up. It is also holding its wings outs slightly rather than letting them rest. It won't eat anything and drinking is really hard. In order for it to drink, we have to dip its beak in the water. For eating, it won't eat the dry feed, so we made a mash and it won't really eat much of that either.

Can anyone tell me what may be the cause? Are we delaying the inevitable? What else can we try? We really don't want to lose any of the chicks!

It is a silver laced wyandotte, suppose to be a hen.

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    See if you can get the chick to drink sugar water or water with electrolytes in it.

I had a sick duckling once, and he wouldn't eat much. I fed him a mash of plain yogurt, spinach, and Cheerios. After a few days he pulled through.

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Is it spraddled?

4. mudman

mudman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2008
    SE Michigan
    Not spraddled, her legs are right under her. (I'm Farm Chic's male half)

Legs are each a different color. I'm thinking slipped tendon, maybe. I've spent some time searching but haven't seen a matching photo or description yet. if you have any good threads for us to read, please post a link.

I'll try to get a photo posted in a bit.

Right now I'm typing with only my right hand because in my left is the chick. She is sleeping comfortably on her back in my cupped palm. I hope she recovers

5. mudman

Aug 17, 2008
    SE Michigan
    Forgot to mention:

Her wings stick out kinda funny, not sure if it is a deformity or if she is just uncomfortable or using them for balance.

Thanks!

6. mudman

Aug 17, 2008
    SE Michigan
    Alright, after much searching I'm pretty sure our chick has a slipped tendon, or two. She doesn't use her toes much, feet kinda limp and curled inward. Also after much searching I've found the digital camera is not at my house (?).

I did not find a concensus on how to treat this, though. I heard mention of slpinting but I'm not sure this will help with our chick. She has been given sugared water and wet feed, but won't take it on her own. We'll pick up some polyvisol tomorrow.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have! We want to do everything we can for this chick!

7. mudman

Aug 17, 2008
    SE Michigan
    Well, she made it through the night. I set her near the feeder and she pecked on her own, but won't drink with out her beak being dipped. She has been using her knees to get around.

Still interested in any help with diagnosis and treatment! Thanks!

8. jenni2142

jenni2142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South Carolina
    can you feel the slipped tendon? i think you just put it back in the center and splint with either bandaids or someone suggested popsicle sticks and masking tape, maybe the painters kind as it is more gentle. the happy henhouse has a wonderful rickets recipe that may help as they think the slipped tendon is caused by a lack of certain vitamins and the poly infant vitamins are also a good idea.
    I don't think it is good for them to sleep on their backs but i can't find that thread at the moment.

9. Farm Chic

Aug 21, 2008
    Davisburg, MI
    [​IMG]
    This is the chick that we think has a slipped tendon. True? False? Anyone think it could be something else?

10. Farm Chic

Aug 21, 2008
    Davisburg, MI
    this is what she looks like sitting on her own. Sometimes she will have a wing out.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by