Bumb foot in 2 of my day old silkies??????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BackSwampGirl, Apr 21, 2012.

1. BackSwampGirl

BackSwampGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    Each one of them has a foot /w toes turned in.What to do?Please help [​IMG] Thanks so much,Sandra.....I have been up all night !!!!!!!

2. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, my baby silkie had turned in feet and curled toes for two days or so after hatching. Lack of humidity is to blame I think, not sure though. Anyways, I tried everything - sticking plasters to splay the toes etc... didn't work. In the end they corrected themselves. Maybe yours will correct itself too?

3. Ampowers

Ampowers New Egg

Jul 19, 2011
    North Carolina
    I read that using a band aid to hold a little peice of a popsicle stick to their foot helps. And having a really flat surface for them to walk on for a few days is a must, like paper towles or news paper

4. Northwood Silkies

Northwood Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Northwest Michigan
    I take a piece of shipping tape and flatten out the foot and toes and place it on the tape and then fold the tape over the toes and foot and then cut the rest of the excess tape off. Leave on for a couple days or more if you need to. It works to correct it every time for me :)

5. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Removed post.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  6. BackSwampGirl

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    Thanks so much for the info.Seems like one is doing a lot better and getting around good.But the other is taking longer to get around.Kelly I think that could have been the cause.thanks to all for helping me w/this problem.I always worry about my babies,Thanks Sandra

7. BackSwampGirl

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    Northwood Silkies,how hard is it to get that shipping tape off.I was gonna try that and see if it will work better,Thanks Sandra

8. Northwood Silkies

Northwood Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Northwest Michigan
    It's not hard at all. Just peel it off. I also use rubber shelf liner as their flooring for awhile too. It helps them get around better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by