Bumble Bee Honey???

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Randy, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    I just found a bumble bee nest out in my shop building. At first I was just going to spray them and then wondered if they made honey and if so is it good to eat like the regular honey bee's honey? I know they spread pollen and all that good stuff but I have to move the junk they are living in so they can't stay there and they seem to get pretty mad when you get close to them so I know it's going to be a fight but if there is some honey in there it might be worth it. LOL

2. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    ...........and no I'm not going to video it. LOL

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Bumblebees do collect pollen and nectar like honeybees, but not in large amounts. Only the queens overwinter (they go dormant in a safe locations), so they don't need to work all spring, summer, and fall to build up winter stores to feed a colony over the winter. You'd probably find a lot of larvae.

4. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    No, you won't get any honey from bumblebees, however they are an excellent source for pollinating plants and flowers, including your veggie garden. They are also quite docile, so unless they're really in your way, no need to exterminate them. Read more about them and their benefits: http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG8484.html

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Drat!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by