Bumble feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by srmarquez, Aug 19, 2011.

1. srmarquez

srmarquez New Egg

Aug 19, 2011
    Can anyone please tell me how do chickens get this and how do you stop them from getting Bumble feet.

Thanks

2. Pickaduck

Pickaduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Alabama
    Bumblefoot is a staph infection. Basically if a chicken injures its foot and the staph bacteria gets into the wound then it develops into bumblefoot. Anything can cause an injury - rocks, splinters on the roost, anything rough or sharp. There's no 100% way of preventing it but the best things to do are make sure there aren't any obviously sharp rocks, thorns, or debris in their run (if they free range this is much more difficult and in which case just do your best). Also you can make sure their roosts don't have splinters or any rough spots/edges. Not too hard and will reduce your chances of having it by a lot. [​IMG]

3. no pine needles, pine cones either.... [​IMG] 4 of mine got it from pine needles far as I can tell...... it's a pain as well. very hard to get rid of.

4. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    there was a really good how to treat on you tube if you need to look it up and see how to heal.. looks worse than it is ( on you that is) its very painful for them and it takes a bit of a while to treat but neccessary.. I check all my chickens feet everyday.. at first they didn,t like it, now when I pick them up, they stick one foot out then the other.. I think now they know it feels good to have alittle foot massage.. [​IMG]

check out you tube.. man you can find anything on there..

)O(
    Pink

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by