Bumble foot “operation” at home unsuccessful. Advice?

Aug 22, 2017
Hi,
One of my ducks seems to have bumblefoot (the tell tale bulge and black scab ...like a big swollen black head yuck). And I researched extensively how to remove it and watched demonstrations. But the only exacto knife I had turned out to be extremely dull! So it wouldn’t cut through the skin much at all. All I was able to do was totally remove the black scab top. I wasn’t able to extract anything else, even with tweezers and a scraper thing. I’m so confused...the bulg felt kind of harder than I expected, like it’d be pretty hard to squeeze anything out of there even with a sharper blade to open it up all the way...did I get it all or do I need to dig deeper? I also soaked her foot before hand in warm salt water but not for more than 5 min cause I couldn’t get her to stop trying to DRINK the water she was in. Ugh...I just need help

If you are determined to extract the infection, you'll need to dig deeper with a real knife (extremely sharp). You can use a smaller container for the foot bath so you can keep her in there 20 minutes or more. The epsom salt may not hurt it to drink it. An herbal remedy that has been used is a mix of HEC (hypericum, echinacea and calendula). It has been used for raptors and I've used it on roosters with success. You ne3ed to apply the ointment to a clean foot after the ES soak, wrap the foot and put the bird on clean dry bedding. Repeat daily.

If you are determined to extract the infection, you'll need to dig deeper with a real knife (extremely sharp). You can use a smaller container for the foot bath so you can keep her in there 20 minutes or more. The epsom salt may not hurt it to drink it. An herbal remedy that has been used is a mix of HEC (hypericum, echinacea and calendula). It has been used for raptors and I've used it on roosters with success. You ne3ed to apply the ointment to a clean foot after the ES soak, wrap the foot and put the bird on clean dry bedding. Repeat daily.

I ended up taking her to the vet and I’m glad I did. Apparently her bumble foot scab wasn’t even bad enough for them to treat, it was so small and there was nothing in it....the problem was a sprained leg so they treated her and gave her pain/anti-swelling meds.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom