1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Bumble foot “operation” at home unsuccessful. Advice?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Vegan Mountain Mama, May 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Vegan Mountain Mama

Vegan Mountain Mama In the Brooder

Aug 22, 2017
    Hi,
    One of my ducks seems to have bumblefoot (the tell tale bulge and black scab ...like a big swollen black head yuck). And I researched extensively how to remove it and watched demonstrations. But the only exacto knife I had turned out to be extremely dull! So it wouldn’t cut through the skin much at all. All I was able to do was totally remove the black scab top. I wasn’t able to extract anything else, even with tweezers and a scraper thing. I’m so confused...the bulg felt kind of harder than I expected, like it’d be pretty hard to squeeze anything out of there even with a sharper blade to open it up all the way...did I get it all or do I need to dig deeper? I also soaked her foot before hand in warm salt water but not for more than 5 min cause I couldn’t get her to stop trying to DRINK the water she was in. Ugh...I just need help

2. happy duck

happy duck Crowing

Mar 24, 2018
    Small town
    My Coop
  3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging 7 Years

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If you are determined to extract the infection, you'll need to dig deeper with a real knife (extremely sharp). You can use a smaller container for the foot bath so you can keep her in there 20 minutes or more. The epsom salt may not hurt it to drink it. An herbal remedy that has been used is a mix of HEC (hypericum, echinacea and calendula). It has been used for raptors and I've used it on roosters with success. You ne3ed to apply the ointment to a clean foot after the ES soak, wrap the foot and put the bird on clean dry bedding. Repeat daily.

4. Vegan Mountain Mama

Vegan Mountain Mama In the Brooder

Aug 22, 2017
    I ended up taking her to the vet and I’m glad I did. Apparently her bumble foot scab wasn’t even bad enough for them to treat, it was so small and there was nothing in it....the problem was a sprained leg so they treated her and gave her pain/anti-swelling meds.

Thanks

5. happy duck

happy duck Crowing

Mar 24, 2018
    Small town
    My Coop
    That is good to hear!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: