Bumble foot after frostbite. How to treat?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by deb80, Mar 19, 2015.

1. deb80

deb80 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2014
    Ohio
    My one hen apparently got frostbite a couple weeks ago. I feel horrible that we didn't notice and her one foot looks like most of the toes are dead. She is walking okay but both her feet are swollen. I'm thinking it's bumble foot but I don't see a dark scab anywhere. I'm also nervous to treat her frost bit foot because her toes look dead but they haven't fallen off and she can still walk.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How would you treat this?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  2. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Ivwould soak her feet in Epsom salt water. That will clean the feet and help with circulation to heal the frostbite. Put neosporin on them and keep her in a clean environment. Good luck.

3. deb80

deb80 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2014
    Ohio
    Thanks! Anyone else have experience with this? I'm pretty sure there is no treating the frostbite at this point as the toes look dead. I'm trying to avoid her dying though because she is my daughter's chicken. We will be cleaning her feet really well tomorrow (2 person job and my husband was sleeping tonight to go in for a midnight shift - otherwise we would have already done it). We cleaned them Sunday and they look about the same so I don't think the infection is getting worse quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by