Bumble foot and raised open wound on chickens

Farm life101

Songster
Jan 9, 2018
Florida
Hello fellow chicken lovers!
so I have two (because it can’t just be one lol) chickens with some leg issues. The first one out rooster has/had bumble foot. I went ahead and did the whole bumble foot treating, pulled out the kernel which came apart in small pieces but it wasn’t a large infection, I think I caught it before it got to bad. But now he’s healing and the wound is healing very well but his leg is swollen and a little hot, what should I do about this? (I included his other leg to show the difference
15D58FC6-C0AF-4BF7-BFA2-0FF45671A093.jpeg
80F5B8C2-4FD2-452B-81B3-47D9832A8A80.jpeg

The other chicken I’m having issues with is one of our hens, spice. She got this wound about a week ago here’s what it looked like, it also has the small white bump next to it?
C83BFAC6-A1F3-4DC1-AD62-AF3B8B3A65AB.jpeg

And here’s what is looks like today
857F6DA3-9FC8-4F69-9BEB-7001BECA2BAA.jpeg
47D98EAF-B663-4844-BE57-87736CA38985.jpeg

I’ve been spraying it with vetericyn plus and applying triple antibiotic ointment and bandaging it with vet wrap and some gauze to keep it as clean as possible. I’ve been changing the bandage every two days that way the ointment has time to work but it’s not getting any better, what else can I do? Maybe antibiotics?

Those are very good photos. Clear and well focused. Definitely a big help to your cause.

Bumblefoot can sometimes be very stubborn and some cases can take months to resolve. I had one chicken I battled her bumblefoot for two years, and it never really resolved.

When a black scab persists, sometimes you need to pull it off and clean out the wound again. You can usually tell when a scab is healing - it becomes thin around the edges and begins to lift away around the perimeter. When it remains thick and black and the edges of the wound show granulation (raised swelling) and there's redness in the surrounding tissue, it's a sign the chicken still may be battling infection. So begin at the beginning again with soaks and debriding and wound excavation.

For a wound that appears to be healing as in the upper photos, but you still see redness and maybe minor swelling, try cortisone cream to hurry it along to resolution.

I'd say you're doing more than a fair job. It's a long slog treating this type of infection. Just keep at it. Our chickens are lucky we love them.

Those are very good photos. Clear and well focused. Definitely a big help to your cause.

Bumblefoot can sometimes be very stubborn and some cases can take months to resolve. I had one chicken I battled her bumblefoot for two years, and it never really resolved.

When a black scab persists, sometimes you need to pull it off and clean out the wound again. You can usually tell when a scab is healing - it becomes thin around the edges and begins to lift away around the perimeter. When it remains thick and black and the edges of the wound show granulation (raised swelling) and there's redness in the surrounding tissue, it's a sign the chicken still may be battling infection. So begin at the beginning again with soaks and debriding and wound excavation.

For a wound that appears to be healing as in the upper photos, but you still see redness and maybe minor swelling, try cortisone cream to hurry it along to resolution.

I'd say you're doing more than a fair job. It's a long slog treating this type of infection. Just keep at it. Our chickens are lucky we love them.
Okay thank you so much! The swelling in the roosters foot (bumble foot) where the wound is has gone down but his leg is what’s swollen now. Here is the photo I got after I had pulled out what I could (I didn’t want to do more harm than good so I decidedly stop pulling tissue/infection out as I think I got it all)
93C606E0-93C6-4EF9-B197-ACEA9FB15D17.jpeg

The other photos of the hens wound, I haven’t tried to remove anything as I’m not sure if it’s bumble foot or just a wound that’s got an infection so I didn’t want to cause any damage but it’s not getting any better still, the black on it I think is from dirt and I have no clue how she got dirt on it as I thought I wrapped it well but they always find a way lol. Should I soak both of their injuries daily in epsom salt? And then cortisone cream on the wound or his leg?

Just re bandaged today and the hens seems to be getting puffier and the white dot is a bump, but the tissue still looks healthy. There was some tissue that was falling off and came off with a simple wipe, should I put her on an oral antibiotic? Or something stronger for her wound? It stays clean so if it’s not infected then it hopefully won’t get infected. Could this some rumor that has just popped up or something like a growth? Since it’s won’t go away. The rooster is still doing good all though I did have to remove the black scab again but it wasn’t as bad as last time

The hens injury is only getting worse and has a little bit of yellow in it now (infection?) should I just try to take her to a vet or is there something else I can do?

Back
Top Bottom