Bumble Foot--- Can't Find The Plug

bambi

Songster
12 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Mo.
I Have a 1 1/2 year old hen that has been limping around for a couple of days, when I checked out her foot I found what I feel like it was bumble foot. I did a search and decided to do the surgery on her but I never did find a plug and very little infection came out. I put neosporin and wrapped her foot in vet wrap. I have been checking and re-wrapping it daily. I am fearful that I have not gotten all of it out and it has been 5 days sicnce I did the surgery. Has anyone else performed this surgery and not find a pug,and how well did the chicken recover?

I have a male quail that once developed bumble foot. I did the same thing you did, inspect his feet a million times, lance a few parts, but never did get it all out. I did the best I could, (their feet are so tiny) but it was all I could do and I let him be. He limped around for one month, stood on one foot all day for weeks and weeks. Then one day he stopped limping, stood on both feet and it was all over. I did run some antibiotics thru him for 7 days however, early on when I could do no more. But he is all healed up and well.

So I am not recommending that you do nothing like I did, but they can heal on their own sometimes and wanted to share my story.
smile.png

I had one like this too. My husband even took over for me and made a HUGE cut (I felt bad for the poor chicken). You can see we looked EVERYWHERE, but no plug. She healed up fine after a few days of neosporin and vet wrap and now she's not limping anymore /shrug. I guess we must have done some good.. not sure how.
tongue.png

Thank you twocrowsranch and featherz for answering. featherz did you give any antibiotics? twocrowsranch what antibiotics did you use? and did you give oral ar injections? My hen is walking much better but not seeing much improvement in the wound it is still the same size but no drainage is noted.I can't decide if I should open it back up or not.

Quote:
All I had at the time was Agrimycin which is really more for respiratory illnesses, so I dont' know if it was the antibiotics or just time. These I put in the water. Do what you think is best.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom