BUMBLE FOOT & CEPHALEXIN?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crazy huhn, Jan 4, 2009.

1. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    I have a hen with bumble foot in early stage (very small soft swelling, not hot, but pin needle size scab). After reading a lot of posts on here about it, I soaked her foot in Epsom salt, opened the scab, squeezed out the pus, put on Neosporin and wrapped the foot with a sterile bandage. She also lives in a dog crate for now. Checked the foot 24 hrs later and the swelling was bigger...., new Neosporin. Another 24 hrs later, I soaked it again, opened the scab again, no pus this time, squeezed and did not find anything abnormal. The swelling is just the same.

So my question is: Does she need Antibiotics? I do have Cephalexin 500 mg left from my dog. Would that work? How much, if so and orally with H2H? I cannot get anything else on a Sunday.
    Any other suggestions?

2. crazy huhn

May 24, 2008
    No help?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I did use that for one of my hens with bumblefoot, but cant remember the dosage. Let me check and I'll get back with you.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Found it! Cephalexin at the rate of 250 mg per bird per day for 14 days, up to 21 days, depending on the severity of the infection.

1 person likes this.
  5. crazy huhn

May 24, 2008
    Thanks, Speckledhen.

Would opening the capsule, devide it in half, put it in a syringe w/water and give it orally work?

6. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Our roo is on day 25 (of 30) 250mg. twice a day (b.i.d.). We've been giving it to him by dumping the contents of the capsule and daubing it up with chunks of grape. Much easier than putting into syringe and mixing with a couple cc's of warm water and trying to get him to swallow it. His poor old `paw' is still being soaked and wrapped, but almost completely healed up.

ed: clarity

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  7. crazy huhn

May 24, 2008
    Super idea. I will go and get some right now.

Hope she shares some with me....

8. Nikki28

Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

Dec 15, 2008
    250mg! Wow it's amazing how different species take completely different dosing. I hope your bird gets better soon!

9. crazy huhn

May 24, 2008
    Thanks.

I tried the grapes and she took them all with the meds.
    So lets hope it will be better soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by