Bumble Foot...........Does anyone have a picture of it???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mtnhomechick, Jun 13, 2009.

1. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Songster

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I think my BR hen has it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mary

2. threehorses

threehorses Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston
    Seach the forums - there's a fabulous picture of it from recently.

If it is bumblefoot, it's cause by a staph bacteria. The scabbing will need to be cut out, cleaned, dressed, medicated, and wrapped. Staph are stubborn bacteria and require a bit more work.

Silvadene, by the way, is supposed to be a good topical (skin based) antibiotic.

Hope this helps start you out.

3. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Songster

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Thanks. I did a cursive search as I needed to take care of whatever this is. She has what I thought was a pussy sac on top of the foot and another spot higher on the leg. I soaked it and tried to drain it but it was hard and just bled. I put betadine on it and when that dried I put benedryl spray.......thinking it might be a bug bite. I waited and applied some hydrocortisone and then wrapped it with gauze and adhesive tape and isolated her.

From what I could find on a search it appears that bumble foot is on the bottom of the foot. Her bottom foot is fine.

While soaking her feet I noticed that the right side of her face is swollen also so I gave her some liquid benedry......just a drop and a crushed baby aspirin.

Anyone have anything to add to this?

Wish I had gotten a picture but it's wrapped now.

Thanks,

Mary

4. charlielynnsingletary

charlielynnsingletary Songster

Apr 26, 2009
    pearl river,la
    You can search "large abscess on foot" that I posted it has really good pics.
    My hen has healed up nicely I was able to put her back with the other girls today.
    The key to getting it healed up is keeping the wound cleaned. Good Luck!

5. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Songster

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    OK.....I will and Thanks.

6. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Songster

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Prep H works great for staph infections on people. I thought my RIR Roo had bumble foot. I applied Prep H, and wrapped with strips from a clean tshirt. Swelling went down overnight and I realized it was not bumble foot but he had actually fractured his ankle. I continued with the Prep H and wrapping to keep swelling down and watched him until he stopped limping. He is fine now though it is apparent where the fracture was.

Prep H is good for any swelling as long as there is not a open wound. I normally use it for heat rash if in the heat to long.

7. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Songster

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Quote:Good Idea.........I didn't have that but I think the Hydrocortisone is pretty much the same thing.

Anyone know how often a 7 month old pullet can have a baby aspirin for pain?

8. threehorses

threehorses Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston
    Just note - that if it IS bumblefoot, you'll want to use an antibiotic - topical.

9. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Songster

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    If bumble foot is the bottom of the foot then it's something else. I'm thinking a bite of some kind but I suppose it could be fractured.

She is limping and it's a hard abcess on the top of the foot and a smaller lump higher up. The upper lump bled when I bathed her and the lower lump is hard and won't drain.

Just guessing here..........I really don't have a clue.

10. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Songster

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:Any signs of a bite?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: