bumble foot? egg bound? vent picking?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tinychicky, Jan 5, 2011.

1. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    all of a sudden, we are having problems with all three at once, and of course, all three were menat to go to a show two weeks from now! firstly, some of the chickens have slightly swollen back toes... is this bumble foot? how can i treat it? secondly, one of the show hens has had some trouble with egg binding... due to stress, i think. she's in the bathroom with the heat on right now, but when i moved her i also noticed her breathing was a little off. whenever she took a breath, she made a sound like the tick of a clock almost. her crop was empty, but she ate readily enough when i added some water to her feed... she won't drink anything though... what's wrong with her? and finally, my cornish hen has always had some trouble with prolapse (when the internal portion of the cloaca comes out whenever she lays an egg, often due to obesity with is common in heavy breeds like cornish). the chicken in the coops she's in never pick it, but one particualarly nastly leghorn (i only keep her because she's a good layer and a great show bird) picked her vent when i made the mistake of housing them together before the show and her vent started bleeding profusely-not just outside it, but INSIDE TOO. i seperated her and washed her vent off with warm water, then put some neosporin on the outside. is there anything else i can do to help her?

2. tinychicky

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    hello? please help!

3. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    There are some really good posts on bumble foot surgery- it doesn't seem too hard. The vent picking... get some Blukote (not sure of the spelling). It hides the redness. Keep an eye out for infection. The prolapse, I have no experience with. Someone else will chime in, but do a search, there are really good posts here.

4. DelawareSilkie

DelawareSilkie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    Here's a tutorial on bumblefoot surgery:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=236649

As for the egg binding, try putting her in a sink full of warm water. There's youtube videos and internet instructions on how to do this. But don't expect egg-binding to heal forever. When most hens get it, they get it for good.

And as for the prolapse, try some preperationH as well.

You're doing everything you can, and it seems to be working. Some chickens who get these problems have the best timing when it comes to shows. I hope everything goes well and good luck for first place.

5. tinychicky

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    thank you, but i'm not sure it is egg binding any more. her breathing is really off... i think it might be some kind of upper respritory disease. she seems really sick...

6. tinychicky

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    the sick hen, Wobble, died last night. we couldn't get her antibiotic soon enough. here's a pic of her. she's the one in th middle.

[​IMG]

the cornish hen with prolapse seems to be recovering, and i don't think it's bumble foot that we have in the coop, now.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sorry for your loss, nice to hear the one with the prolapse is better, just keep treating her and watch out the others don't go after her again. The one with the red swollen back toes how are they? Sending hugs....[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by