Bumble Foot! Help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CherpNPeep, Mar 15, 2019.

1. CherpNPeep

CherpNPeep Songster

Aug 8, 2018
    Canada, Vancouver
    So for the past week, I've been noticing my drake Muscovy has been standing on one foot and he did walk around and run when needed to like to eat or get out the coop in the morning but today, looking closer to it, I saw a large bump on the heel of his foot and I figured out it was bumble foot! What am I supposed to do? I know I need to soak his foot in espon salt but I know he won't stay still and he will try to run away.
    He's the only one who gets injured out of the other 3, poor guy.

Raenh likes this.
  2. Quailguy728

Quailguy728 Chirping

Mar 3, 2019
    Southern Ontario
    You could try soaking some cloth in the Epson salt, and using medical tape to secure it to his foot.

Will at least give him barrier between it and the chicken poop and what not.

Hope your duck gets better soon!

Raenh, COLORADO HIPPIE and CherpNPeep like this.
  3. CherpNPeep

CherpNPeep Songster

Aug 8, 2018
    Canada, Vancouver
    How would I keep him still while wrapping the cloth, he get really defensive sometimes.

Raenh and Quailguy728 like this.
  4. Quailguy728

Quailguy728 Chirping

Mar 3, 2019
    Southern Ontario
    Itll be easier to hold him still for 45 seconds than it would be to hold him still in water for 4 and a half minutes. :D

I dont think theres a way around the hard part itself though. If there is someone else there, maybe they could hold him and his wings still while you quickly apply the bandage to his foot? Its gunna be tough though. :/

Raenh and CherpNPeep like this.
  5. CherpNPeep

CherpNPeep Songster

Aug 8, 2018
    Canada, Vancouver
    Oh well, maybe I'll cover him with a towel to calm him also. Thank you though!

Raenh, DuckyDonna and Quailguy728 like this.
  6. Justso

Justso Songster

Apr 30, 2015
    Chicagoland DuPage Co
    To treat my chicken I used a narrow deep bucket with warm water and epsom salts in the bottom 4 or 5 inches. It was a tight fit getting her in there. Keeping her tight like that seem to calm her down and she liked the warm soak. Try covering the eyes, that might help getting him loaded into the soak bath. when you wrap the foot, hold him like a football with his head stuck under your armpit and his foot sticking out front. Again it helps to have those eyes covered. My hen is so fat and compliant she didn't care about being held this way. IMG_20180924_174752291.jpg

Raenh, DuckyDonna and CherpNPeep like this.
  7. CherpNPeep

CherpNPeep Songster

Aug 8, 2018
    Canada, Vancouver
    Ahh, thank you! Would I do this everyday? Soak, wrap, unwrap, soak, and wrap?

Raenh likes this.
  8. Justso

Justso Songster

Apr 30, 2015
    Chicagoland DuPage Co
    I did it every day, and I dug out the plug and filled with Neosporin. Then vet wrap.
    I think it was very important to work out the scab and if it's bad soak for a little while after then apply Neosporin or bag balm and then wrap.

9. Justso

Justso Songster

Apr 30, 2015
    Chicagoland DuPage Co
    I can't remember exactly how many days I did this, but she healed quickly and quite well

10. Cayuga momma

Cayuga momma ♡I'm not crazy, I'm just special♡

Mar 13, 2018
    Western NY
    You can wrap him in a towel. I have wrapped mine in flex tape in the past to keep them from flapping and going crazy.
    There are a ton of threads on here on how to treat bumblefoot. I know it will be difficult, but if you can get us some pictures of his foot and the bumble it would help alot in giving advice on treatment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: