Bumble foot help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by colette peters, Nov 16, 2019.

1. colette peters

colette peters Songster

Aug 25, 2017
    Fairfax, California
    Hi
    I have a 1.5 yr Delaware that I noticed about 5 days ago look lethargic and feathers were ruffled and didn’t look healthy and active as usual.
    I went to grab her and she wasn’t herself. When she was on my lap I noticed on the top web part of her foot was red and swollen. Turned her foot and saw a black hard round callus thing. I knew right away it was bumble.
    I never noticed her limp or be hard of waking which was strange..
    But my question does this effect their health entirely?
    I soaked in epsom salt 4 times within 2 days cleaned and wrapped it. And today I was able to pull the callus out.
    She seems great and alert.
    Was that all it took?!
    Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Trevorusn and BirdsBeesTrees like this.
  2. Suedan

Suedan Songster

Sep 18, 2019
    Maryland
    Wow! You did a good job! :)

colette peters likes this.
  3. colette peters

colette peters Songster

Aug 25, 2017
    Fairfax, California
    She still seems lethargic so I brought her in for the night. I’m curious to see if her crop empties. This am it felt doughy
    Do you know if bumble foot can make a chicken sick? @Wyorp Rock

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  4. Suedan

Suedan Songster

Sep 18, 2019
    Maryland
    I believe the infection can become systemic if left untreated. I'm sure someone will chime in soon. You are a good chicken mom.

5. getaclue

getaclue Enabler

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    Bumblefoot is a bacterial infection, and left unchecked can spread. Eventually, it can cause lethargy, and even death. From the pictures you posted, it's doubtful that's the cause. Check your chicken over for other issues. Look for mites/lice. An infestation can cause lethargy. Look at the vent. Is it fairly clean? Is there a horrible odor? Vent gleet can cause lethargy too. Look at the comb/wattles. Are they pale, grayish, or bright red? Paleness/Grayishness in the comb/wattles can be an indication of worms. Worms can cause lethargy. Crop issues can cause lethargy too. Since you suspect it might be a slow, or impacted crop, a lot of people swear by giving them a small hunk or two(small pea sized) of coconut oil still in solid form, then massaging the crop.

Suedan likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: