Bumble foot- how I kept my hen calm.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sarevan, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Sarevan

Sarevan Songster

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    One of our Welsummer hens had the dark scab on the big pad of her foot. I had to keep her calm and too hot for a towel over her. I used a toilet paper roll, cut a "v" in one end so it fit over her head the v cut just under her wattles. It allowed her to breathe and dark to calm her down. I tried it on our big BO roo with some more cutting to make it fit over his head, comb and up to his wattles. Worked great for him too being hooded this way.

I cleaned up her foot with an old toothbrush and antibacterial soap. Then removing the core from the hens foot went quickly, used cleaned exacto knife to remove it. After care washed out again applied neosporin a small cut down gauze pad to keep it in place wrapped up with vet wrap. I was very happy using the toilet paper roll for a hood she was able to breathe and it amplified her breath sounds so I could tell if she was in any distress. It was just dark enough that she stayed quiet and didn't move while treating her Bumble foot. She didn't toss it off like a towel.

I checked her foot yesterday 3 days from the removal and healing fine now is just wearing a vet wrap sandal to keep it clean for a day or three longer. A toilet paper roll an easy hood to make for a chicken!

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Wow, that was genius!! So glad everything went well...you're a good chicken mama!! [​IMG]

3. KayTee

KayTee Songster

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    What a great idea - mine hate the towel, but I'm going to try the toilet roll method! Thanks Sarevan [​IMG]

4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I'm having trouble "picturing" this in my mind (doesn't take much anymore!)....can you elaborate? Are you saying to cut a 'v' on one end of the TP roll...then how do I put it on her 'v' up or 'v' down.... [​IMG]

5. Sarevan

Sarevan Songster

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    Yes cut a V in one end of the TP roll. When you slide it on the chickens head the V will be under the beak and will fit up against the wattles or the throat. Don't press it up against the throat too firmly, you could interfere with the breathing.

What I like about it is makes breathing noises louder, can breathe, can see a bit of light but they calm down really quickly. At least my girls do, I think they are getting used to me trying strange things when getting a treatment.

6. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    NOW I get it...takes me a while...not much brain matter left at age 70....yikes! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: